I hate this car. Grouding Issue?

Discussion in 'Electrical & Stereo' started by Twista, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Twista

Twista Legend

Ill report back. Theres a guy on my local forum offering help with this problem. Hes been installing alarms for over 10+ years plus works on cars so hes going to check everything over including the grounds and the alarm.

Ill report back for sure. Such an annoying problem.

2. ttocs

ttocs Legend

Has this guy worked for a shop, or just done all his buddies systems? I ask because most guys with 10 yrs exp are making pretty good cash at a shop if they are worth a crap but you can find a million people that will tell you they do all their friends systems....

3. Michael Plummer

Michael Plummer Active Member

Sorry I missed the "When it's acting up it doesn't crank at all". As with most alarm and stereo shops they tend to use butt slices for their connections. I'm thinking that one of their connections is either loose or isn't crimped correctly. It may be worth it to pull on those connections and see if you have a loose connection.

Good luck

4. Twista

Twista Legend

Grounds cleaned

The other alarm guy/electrician hooked up a led light to my starter relay and every time I turn the key from the cabin it lights up meaning the signal is getting from the ignition to the fuse box in the engine bay. But my starter is not turning... No clicks.. Lights works.. No dimming.

Starter wire and ignition hooked back up factory style. Alarm still installed just the starter kill is not hooked up or remote start.

And same issue.

Actually starting two days ago I can't start my car at all with the key. The only way to start my car now is from the starter with a screw driver.

WTF. I even hooked up good jumper cables and made a new ground from frame to battery and motor to frame to elimate a bad ground and nothing.

Wtf is wrong with this car? The problem has gotten worst. Battery is 100% charged and cranks with a screw driver to the starter.

* Sent from tapatalk while sitting on the toilet at work*

5. ttocs

ttocs Legend

are you running long tubes by chance?

6. Twista

Twista Legend

Nope. Shorties with heat blanket installed on starter. I'm sending this car to a shop. This electrical issue is over my head now

7. ttocs

ttocs Legend

No sure what to tell you if you have power at the starter relays output then it should be turning, again unless its not grounded but if you cleaned and retightened them that should not be an issue.

8. Twista

Twista Legend

Brought a test light.

Power to fat wire on starter always.

Problem is. No power to trigger wire on starter when turning key. Issue is in the wiring from starter to fuse box.

Was suggested running a new trigger wire to fuse box block

Now which wire do I replace and where at the engine fuse box.

I know the one in harness is black but would it be the same color at fuse box

9. ttocs

ttocs Legend

before you do that get inside the car and pull/inspect/check every fuse in the car. Don't bother trying to figure out which one may be the one and literally just pull/inspect every fuse and it will take 30 secs and we can be sure.

10. Twista

Twista Legend

I'm going to do that but if that's my problem the random issue will still be there.I'm at my wit ends and about to add a push button start that only works with the key in the on position. It's the easier way instead of running new wires to fuse block. I been googling for awhile and many people just add the button for when this issue happens to them. I'll sell the car anyway sooner or later since I want a cobra

11. Twista

Twista Legend

All fuses are good. Pulled all of them

12. evilcw311

evilcw311 Most Evil Mod! Staff Member Staff

I'm removing my key cylinder and putting a keypad/relay control with a push button start. I'll never have to worry about that!!! Just a thought for you o partake!!! Lol

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

13. ttocs

ttocs Legend

I have not looked into it but I would be surprised if there were not an alarm company that makes a passive transponder system that could work push button starts. But the whole push button start thing its cool and all but to make one where you still need the key just seems like more work then its worth.

14. ttocs

ttocs Legend

15. Twista

Twista Legend

My mustang is now push to start. Screw it. Sucks but I give up. Still need the key turned to on then I have to push the button but at least it'll start always now.

I'll probably sell the car like this

Brought everything from the autostores

10 awg Wiring from menards

Push button from advanced auto

In line 20 amp fuse wired to battery then to push button.

Other push button wire goes to the starter trigger terminal. All wire loomed so it doesn't chaffe against metal.

Done

16. ttocs

ttocs Legend

is that button rated for 20 amps? most are not and you hook the switch up to a relay to handle the current. Check it out and make sure it can handle it or you will smoke that thing one day while trying to start it.

Did we figure out what was bad or just a go-around for it?

17. Twista

Twista Legend

The button is made for a starter. It's a 20amp 12v button with 20 amp inline fuse at battery.

Do I still need a relay? All it said was I need a inline fuse.

Also the problem is the wiring from the old trigger wire to the fuse box is bad somehow. The alarm guy can probably help me fix it but for now I'm done with it.

18. ttocs

ttocs Legend

I am surpised it didn't blow the 20 amp fuse myself but if it is still good then I am fine with it. I would be careful if one day you need to keep cranking on it for a long period of time.

19. Twista

Twista Legend

So far so good. I haven't taken it off Jack stands yet but I think I'll be okay. I'm going to carry a extra switch with me for sure just in case this one craps out.

Also the real problem will be getting fixed for sure. So this is a temporary fix. My buddy who been helping me so far said he will help me run the wire to the fuse block :)

20. ttocs

ttocs Legend

there are 4 connections needed on the relay to be safe. The tabs on the bottom are numbered so you can tell which one goes where. It could be as simple as me telling you to ground pin 85, connect pin 86 to the switches output, and then finally #30 will be your new output to the starter and pin 87 needs to go to a solid 12v wire that could be either an ignition or constant as it would not matter.

Or if you want to go the really easy way I could connect the wires to the relay for you and ship it to you with a color code so when you get it just ground the black wire, connect the white wire to your switches output, the red wire to a 12v constant or ignition and then the green wire would go to your starter. Its not a big deal for me but it could save you a huge problem later.