I hate to even ask but gotta know

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
during the rebuild of my car and all the work I am putting into my motor I can't help but wonder what numbers it could be capable of doing. I would love to get some ideas from the experts here as to what I could put down, and what the weak link in the system is that I should work on next or be aware of

Anderson power pipe with a 90 mm maf feeding into a a vortech V2 si trim supercharger. From there it goes into the 75mm tb that then feeds into a polished/ported/ceramic coated cobra upper intake separated by a 1/2" phenolic spacer and the down into a ported/polished/ceramic coated lower. At that point the trickflow 170cc heads and a TF stage 1 cam. Out of the heads it will hit the new JBA ceramic coated shorty headers, magnaflow high-flow catted x pipe finally to the dynamax side exhaust mufflers. 42 lb injectors feed it a snow meth system helps to cool it and I can't forget the electric water pump, aluminum drive shaft, I think that is all.

Of course this is on a stock bottom end 302. So what is your best estimate and is there something I need to be aware or worried about now? What is the weak link other then the block itself now?

95opal

Reaction score
your weak link is your fuel system ... injectors will limit your output

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
fuel pump was upgraded 3 yrs ago to a 255 I think it was. Also forgot to mention an accufab adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I thought I had read the 42 lbers were good at their max form 5-600 hp? I always thought it was a little high and I am really only aiming for the 400-450 hp range at least till I can get a built bottom to hold it all.

95opal

Reaction score
fuel pump was upgraded 3 yrs ago to a 255 I think it was. Also forgot to mention an accufab adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I thought I had read the 42 lbers were good at their max form 5-600 hp? I always thought it was a little high and I am really only aiming for the 400-450 hp range at least till I can get a built bottom to hold it all.

If your only looking to push the mid 400s youll be ok. The 42s, LMAF and 255 pump on a boosted app will be done in the upper 400s to low 500. N/A apps are different than boosted apps when it comes to injectors and duty cycle. Its always better to err on the bigger side when putting together a fuel system especially when boosting. With your stock block you wont need to worry about any of the parts you have selected they will be fine.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Depending on which 255. You might need a inline fuel pump if it can't keep up. .

Its been a while but I am pretty sure it was a Holley 255. It was a little more expensive then some of the others but I have a friend that use to work for them in Ky and he recommended it over the others.

If your only looking to push the mid 400s youll be ok. The 42s, LMAF and 255 pump on a boosted app will be done in the upper 400s to low 500. N/A apps are different than boosted apps when it comes to injectors and duty cycle. Its always better to err on the bigger side when putting together a fuel system especially when boosting. With your stock block you wont need to worry about any of the parts you have selected they will be fine.
I have been trying to put together a well built top end in hopes that later when I have the cash I can pick up a nicely built short block and then a tranny to hold it all in the coming years.

Thanks for the reply's guys and if anyone else has any issues/questions/concerns please chime in.

Out of curiosity if I were to max out the 42's and had everything working perfect what do you think that this combination is capable to make?

95opal

Reaction score
Its been a while but I am pretty sure it was a Holley 255. It was a little more expensive then some of the others but I have a friend that use to work for them in Ky and he recommended it over the others.

I have been trying to put together a well built top end in hopes that later when I have the cash I can pick up a nicely built short block and then a tranny to hold it all in the coming years.

Thanks for the reply's guys and if anyone else has any issues/questions/concerns please chime in.

Out of curiosity if I were to max out the 42's and had everything working perfect what do you think that this combination is capable to make?

tough to say without knowing boost level but being your top end is on the mild side I would say anywhere from 400- 500 if I had to guess

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Q) I can't help but wonder what numbers it could be capable of doing. I would love to get some ideas from the experts here as to what I could put down.
A) Honestly, it makes what it makes. The issue I have when asking is when someone says it should make 425rwhp and it only makes 400rwhp now what. Now you think something is wrong and you start on this crusade to find the missing HP when there is none.

Q) Anderson power pipe
A) Feeding the supercharger the most air possible without turbulence is key.

Q) 90 mm maf
A) You may need a bigger meter, I'll discuss more later.

Q) feeding into a a vortech V2 si trim supercharger.
A) Great street blower

Q) 75mm tb
A) Not needed but you already have it.

Q) a polished/ported/ceramic coated cobra upper & lower intake separated by a 1/2" phenolic spacer
A) Polished makes it look pretty. Ported equates to more flow but not really need on the upper in a forced application for this setup. The 1/2" spacer is useless and does nothing.

Q) the trickflow 170cc heads and a TF stage 1 cam.
A) TFS products make HP and the stage 1 is a decent street cam with good drivability manners.

Q) new JBA ceramic coated shorty headers, magnaflow high-flow catted x pipe finally to the dynamax side exhaust mufflers.
A) Exhaust systems designed together (headers, mid-pipe, and flow tubes) tend to work better and make the best HP under the curve and in a lot of cases the most peak HP. You never mentioned exhaust sizing, side exhaust not as efficient due to tubing size restrictions unless you found a way around that. Mufflers at this level is basically personal taste.

Q) 42 lb injectors
A) At 425HP (flywheel), 42lb injectors at 80-85% duty cycle is basically all done. And your fuel pump (255lph) is way to small if you're thinking of making over 400rwhp.

Q) a snow meth system helps to cool it
A) Thank you again and you're correct, it will cool your air charge and combustion chambers temperatures.

Q) I can't forget the electric water pump, aluminum drive shaft
A) Nice but not really needed. But they do a great good cooling at idle and in stop and go traffic. Aluminum driveshaft ok.

Q) Of course this is on a stock bottom end 302.
A) On this setup, you'll be fine.

Q) your best estimate
A) I can't guess because I feel your run will be aborted due to fuel pump, injectors or MAF being to small. Have you decided on crank and supercharger pulley sizes?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am not on a quest to make a dyno queen or going to get upset that I didn't make any particular number. This is my first time owning a boosted car so I am sure that eventually I will want more but at the moment just getting a super solid car is all I am aiming for. It was just after a week porting the intake and messing with different motor parts got me thinking for the first time.

at the moment I have not looked into pulleys at all. Still just trying to get it back together and make sure I have everything in order so I appreciate every bit of constructive criticism is needed honestly. I kind of thought the fuel/injectors would be the choke point but it isn't something impossible to get over when the time comes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81