I have a cool idea but dont know where to start

Austinx56

Reaction score
so im looking at the ferrari key fob, and i love how sturdy and thick it looks, im tired of my little flimsy key I have now, like below

Now how could I make my keys looks like this, with a mustang or saleen logo.....

I dont have any idea how to fabricate something like that.....

Reaction score
with 7 easy steps, do this...

step 1. find someone who can fabricate it.

step 2. take them to dinner.

step 3. become their best friend.

step 4. talk about starting your own shop together.

step 5. make sure he/she has your complete trust.

step 6. slowly show your idea.

*seed succussfully planted*

step 7. let them surprise you with a custom made one for free.

:: DISCLAIMER ::

! while this may have worked for others no one can confirm this will work for you !

but seriously though find someone who can do it

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it would not be all that hard to cut/shape two pieces of plexi/acrylic and put a decal under it.

Mustanger

Reaction score
Hmmm....so you want to go from a nice slim key that doesn't take up much room in your pocket to one that feels like a big lump??? Good idea! lol...sorry couldn't resist!

OP
OP
Austinx56

Austinx56

Reaction score
Hmmm....so you want to go from a nice slim key that doesn't take up much room in your pocket to one that feels like a big lump??? Good idea! lol...sorry couldn't resist!
:hmmm2:good point, but i like to feel big things in my pants, sorry count't resist lol

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I am not a fan of big keys - for said reason regarding pockets. I suspect the Ferrari one is so big because hell, if I paid that much for a car I'd damn well want everyone else to know it too.

Now, personal opinion aside - to answer your question, the easiest/most cost effective way to create what you are describing is to do this: measure your current key, design a "shell" - two halves that snap together, that have a cavity to the shape of your key and will snap closed around it - draw this up (or have a friend with the requisite skills do it if you do not have them) in a CAD program or whatever software that can talk to a Makerbot/3D printer. Have same friend (or another friend, or buy your own) print the two halves out via their Makerbot/3D printer. Sand, smooth and prep the outsides of the halves - paint whatever color you want. If you want a logo, have this log integrated with the CAD drawing prior to being printed out. Once you have done all the painting and stuff you want, simply snap it around the key. Be sure to design a small recess that you can fit a coin into to separate the halves once on the key - similar to how some remote key fobs do it.

Using this method, you can create all kinds of shapes and designs to snap around your key(s).

Edit: thinking more about this - if you have a friend with the equipment, you can get this made for pretty cheap. Even if you "hire" a shop (assuming they are willing to do a small one-off job) it should still be pretty cheap. The most time-intensive part will be in designing the halves to correct dimensions so your key doesn't wiggle, and to get a snap-together mechanism that will work. But you can model something like that off a remote key fob, like what I mentioned earlier.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
wonder how much it would cost.... and where to buy that

You can get the plexi/acrylic at almost any hardware store and hell they might be wiling to give a couple of scrap pieces that would be big enough. I know they make a really good adhesive that when it joins acrylic you can't even see a seem. Not sure what that adhesive will do to a decal but it would not be hard to find out.

OP
OP
Austinx56

Austinx56

Reaction score
Personally, I am not a fan of big keys - for said reason regarding pockets. I suspect the Ferrari one is so big because hell, if I paid that much for a car I'd damn well want everyone else to know it too.

Now, personal opinion aside - to answer your question, the easiest/most cost effective way to create what you are describing is to do this: measure your current key, design a "shell" - two halves that snap together, that have a cavity to the shape of your key and will snap closed around it - draw this up (or have a friend with the requisite skills do it if you do not have them) in a CAD program or whatever software that can talk to a Makerbot/3D printer. Have same friend (or another friend, or buy your own) print the two halves out via their Makerbot/3D printer. Sand, smooth and prep the outsides of the halves - paint whatever color you want. If you want a logo, have this log integrated with the CAD drawing prior to being printed out. Once you have done all the painting and stuff you want, simply snap it around the key. Be sure to design a small recess that you can fit a coin into to separate the halves once on the key - similar to how some remote key fobs do it.

Using this method, you can create all kinds of shapes and designs to snap around your key(s).

Edit: thinking more about this - if you have a friend with the equipment, you can get this made for pretty cheap. Even if you "hire" a shop (assuming they are willing to do a small one-off job) it should still be pretty cheap. The most time-intensive part will be in designing the halves to correct dimensions so your key doesn't wiggle, and to get a snap-together mechanism that will work. But you can model something like that off a remote key fob, like what I mentioned earlier.
most helpful! thanks, i dont want a ferrari key exactly, but something like it

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
thinking about it I would probably make it out of three pieces. First cut the black edges off of the key so it is straight and grind down the plastic. I would make the two end pieces that you would attach the decal to inside of the plexi and then make a third piece that is the same thickness of the key and same shape as the edges but then cut out the middle so it can go around the trimmed section of the key. Some of that acrylic glue to hold the pieces together and then epoxy to hold it to the key. If its something your serious about I could probably find a stereo installer that can do it for you but I imagine your looking at a couple hours of labor and a few $$$ in the decals/materials.

OP
OP
Austinx56

Austinx56

Reaction score
thinking about it I would probably make it out of three pieces. First cut the black edges off of the key so it is straight and grind down the plastic. I would make the two end pieces that you would attach the decal to inside of the plexi and then make a third piece that is the same thickness of the key and same shape as the edges but then cut out the middle so it can go around the trimmed section of the key. Some of that acrylic glue to hold the pieces together and then epoxy to hold it to the key. If its something your serious about I could probably find a stereo installer that can do it for you but I imagine your looking at a couple hours of labor and a few $$$ in the decals/materials.
sounds like something i can do, thanks, im sure someone has read this thread and is making something now and they are going to sell them lol

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Here I am plotting to totally eliminate my need for an ignition key and you guys are trying to figure out how to make the key even bigger!!!!! Lol

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Justang

Reaction score
Also keep in mind our ignition has a flat cone around the key hole, so if you had something too bulky, that could interfere. Unless you have some other design, which Google is showing me plenty of.

Mine looks like this: http://www.cjponyparts.com/ignition-cylinder-assembly-1996-1999/p/HW3274/

With this key:

yhst-54572186103590_2268_185160425

I don't know how much spare room you'd really have with this combo.

OP
OP
Austinx56

Austinx56

Reaction score
Also keep in mind our ignition has a flat cone around the key hole, so if you had something too bulky, that could interfere. Unless you have some other design, which Google is showing me plenty of.

Mine looks like this: http://www.cjponyparts.com/ignition-cylinder-assembly-1996-1999/p/HW3274/

With this key:

yhst-54572186103590_2268_185160425

I don't know how much spare room you'd really have with this combo.
mines chrome and has high points on the two ends, hard to explain ill have to get a pic, maybe mines not oem....

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online