i just want to clean my air filter!

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
i have a MAC cold air filter and it looks like it hasnt been cleaned in 70,000 miles. so i was just going to get the k&n recharge kit but none of the local stores had one. what else is safe to use to clean this filter? i've heard about using a lot of things to clean it from some people but then other people told me not to use the exact same things. looked online but came up with nothing. whats the best way to clean this thing?

GDawg

Reaction score
phil_the_thrill said:
i have a MAC cold air filter and it looks like it hasnt been cleaned in 70,000 miles. so i was just going to get the k&n recharge kit but none of the local stores had one. what else is safe to use to clean this filter? i've heard about using a lot of things to clean it from some people but then other people told me not to use the exact same things. looked online but came up with nothing. whats the best way to clean this thing?

Where do you live? I have no problem finding them. See above and buy online. Follow instructions. Not sure if you are supposed to "oil" a MAC air filter. Do the research or else you could have problems. Don't want to suck K&N oil into THEIR (MAC) filters. I'm not a big MAC fan for anything except exhaust. Get a K&N filter ftw.

OP
OP
P

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
yeah it came with a mac filter on it when i bought it so i didnt really see the need to change it. i looked and looked on what to clean it with but couldnt find it. maybe i suck at the internet. ill have to give it one more try.

ALITL8

Reaction score
im good at searching and i cant find anything for the MAC recharge kit... you can find the cold air kit all day but thats it!

ive got the K&N FIPK and every local parts store sells it and the recharge kits. in the long run it might be better for you just to replace it. i hear the JLT is a really nice unit as well... just a thought :dunno:

OP
OP
P

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
i appreciate you searchin for me. i thought i was pretty good at searchin too i can pretty much find anything but when i couldnt find what to clean a mac filter with one could only jump to conclusions. what i was looking for was what the K&N recharge kit was made of. as in what the cleaner is made of. like if i could just use gasoline or brake cleaner to clean the filter with then i would use that instead of buying a recharge kit. but since i couldnt find what MAC filters require im pretty much stabbin in the dark. so ill prolly just buy a rechrage kit and if that ruins the filter then ill switch to K&N. i dunno we'll see :dunno:

ALITL8

Reaction score
phil_the_thrill said:
i appreciate you searchin for me. i thought i was pretty good at searchin too i can pretty much find anything but when i couldnt find what to clean a mac filter with one could only jump to conclusions. what i was looking for was what the K&N recharge kit was made of. as in what the cleaner is made of. like if i could just use gasoline or brake cleaner to clean the filter with then i would use that instead of buying a recharge kit. but since i couldnt find what MAC filters require im pretty much stabbin in the dark. so ill prolly just buy a rechrage kit and if that ruins the filter then ill switch to K&N. i dunno we'll see :dunno:

i would think if the MAC filter is a lifetime filter that it would be cleaned and oiled like the K&N. definitely dont use gas or brake cleaner to clean it... if i remember correctly its more of a degreaser than a heavy chemical then the oil is just that... some sort of red oil in a spray bottle. i would try the K&N recharge kit, you should be fine :dunno:

ALITL8

Reaction score
quickstang_1994 said:
The filter is a K&N.

thats not how i read it... are you saying the MAC CAI uses a K&N filter?

phil_the_thrill said:
i have a MAC cold air filter and it looks like it hasnt been cleaned in 70,000 miles.

ALITL8

Reaction score
quickstang_1994 said:
Mine did unless they changed it. but, I did get mine when K&N was the only performance air filter.

hell i dont know, sounds like we got our set ups around the same time. pretty much K&N was the top notch CAI when i got mine.

LJmagicJJ

Reaction score
ALITL8 said:
im good at searching and i cant find anything for the MAC recharge kit... you can find the cold air kit all day but thats it!

ive got the K&N FIPK and every local parts store sells it and the recharge kits. in the long run it might be better for you just to replace it. i hear the JLT is a really nice unit as well... just a thought :dunno:

+1 on the JLT.... it's plastic so the air is much cooler when it flows, when i had my MAC CAI the air was at 122* flowing thru the tube....

ALITL8

Reaction score
the K&N FIPK is plastic as well... both are good units

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online