I know I know another rear gear swap and spedo matching issue

Ron Lipton

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of threads on this but I am stuck and wondering if there is a solution that I may be unaware of. I did a 2:73 to 4:10 rear gear swap a number of years ago. What a great change it was and is.

Anyway I changed out the plastic spedo gear in the transmission with several that should have been right (I forget what color) and my spedo is still way off (reads 10-15 MPH fast). I used the ones that were for the higher ratios like mine but they all failed to correct the ratios. I used the ones at the end of the range so I did not think there was/is an easy fix.

Also this is for my 1998 GT Convertible. So my tuner cant adjust for tires or altered ratios. So no dice there.

Any suggestions?

07GtS197

Reaction score
You can get a dallas speedcal. I have one on my 02 gt and it works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lutter94

Reaction score
To provide any insight can you provide us with some real data? 10 to 15 off all the time? At 50? At 100? Did the plastic gear swaps ever make a difference? If so did it get better or worse?

Help us help you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

Ron Lipton

Reaction score
To provide any insight can you provide us with some real data? 10 to 15 off all the time? At 50? At 100? Did the plastic gear swaps ever make a difference? If so did it get better or worse?

Help us help you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Hi lutter, the replacement of the new plastic speedo gear did help but not nearly enough. It was a long time ago now and I forget the color and number of teeth but I do recall that I could not find one with with more teeth. Also that I would need to drop the trans and replace the other gear in the trans (aint gonna do that). I am currently off 10mph to about 40 then about 15mph above that roughly.