I need better traction

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Right I need better traction, what can I do to help me out.
For example if I’m in third doing 30mph at 2,000 rpm and then floor the new edge start accelerating hard until 3,500 rpm and then I just loose traction all the dam time. I’m running 315/35/15 nittro tyres on the rear but my wheels are only 9” wide but will stepping down a size just cause me to loose traction even sooner ?
Now drag racing is all new to me and I’m having to learn fast but these 4.10 gears are making it very hard to get any traction at all until I’m in forth gear. Any advice on how to launch harder/faster and gain better traction?

Silver95bird

Reaction score
for starters, do a small burnout. you don't need a long patch, just enough to see it. Is the patch full width? if its a stripe in the center, drop the pressure 2lbs and try again. if it looks like two stripes on the outer edges, add 2lbs and try again.
If the air temp changes by more than 10*f, re check the pattern.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

apsmith49921

Reaction score
You have 315 tires stretched on to a 9 inch rim? If so you should probably down size. It's all about contact just because it's 315mm wide doesn't mean you're getting all of it.

Does the 315 on a 9 inch rim work? Yes. Is it the best set up? Probably not. I'm not sure most places here would even mount that

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Your right it doesn’t work the tyres are way to big for the wheel, I’m thinking of fitting 275/40/17 on the rear. The front are also 9” wide and are running 245/45/17 tyres

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
for starters, do a small burnout. you don't need a long patch, just enough to see it. Is the patch full width? if its a stripe in the center, drop the pressure 2lbs and try again. if it looks like two stripes on the outer edges, add 2lbs and try again.
If the air temp changes by more than 10*f, re check the pattern.

should of taken a photo of the skid marks after the burn out but really didn’t want to hang around to long after do this. The answer is that both wheels at 32psi are only leaving marks from the edges of the tyres
Is this due to the try’s being to big for the wheels?

dev199505

Reaction score
I agree go down to a 255 on a 9" 275 would still be too wide. I run 275 on my 10" wheel on my Mercedes and its perfect for that width of wheel.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
255 ok I will work out what side wall ratio I will need and see how much them tyres cost

Boostr1

Reaction score
Ive dropped my Nittos DRs down to the 20s to get good traction at the track on a nice fall day. But I'm on 10.5 Wheels with 315s

Silver95bird

Reaction score
factory inflation pressures are good for the stock wheel and tire combo. once you change the combo, it can't be guaranteed what pressure will work best. Trial and error.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
I hate mustang memes as much as the next owner, but... ...weren’t these cars designed to lose traction and spin out of control? Or does ABS and traction control help that problem?

Reaction score
275 is perfectly fine on a 9" rim. dont let anyone tell you otherwise, but a 315 is ridiculous.

use this website if you have questions about wheels and tire widths

willtheyfit.com

if you have 18s then these are the ratios you should run

275 35 18

255 35 18

if thats too thin of a wall for you then a 255 40 18 works, but 275 40 18 is a bit too much.

if 17th then 275 40 17 or 255 40 17

tire compounds are also important as well as the age and tread on the tires. it would be helpful if you tossed some pics in here too

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I hate mustang memes as much as the next owner, but... ...weren’t these cars designed to lose traction and spin out of control? Or does ABS and traction control help that problem?
if you mean a rear wheel drive car with enough power to spin the tires then yes it was designed to spin... Anti-lock braking will never help this, traction control can though.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
These chassis were designed around 1977 for the debut as the 1978 ford fairmont. Cars back then didn't have enough power to get out of their own way, much less spinning donuts as a method of car control. 1/4 mile times were 16s and high 15s. As power increased, the marginal chassis stiffness, inadequate brakes, and other issues slowly got dealt with. If you told the original design team you were using the chassis to stuff a 300+hp engine in and run 13s from the factory, it probably would have scared them stiff.

Mr horsepower

Reaction score
Hi
Can you tell me what the rest of your configuration is. Engine details, transmission ratios etc. Are the Nittos drag radials? I do agree with others that the rim width should be wider. I ran both BFG and Nitto 315/35/17 DRs on 10.5” rear rims @ 25psi on the street pretty successfully on a high horsepower SN95.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Hi
Can you tell me what the rest of your configuration is. Engine details, transmission ratios etc. Are the Nittos drag radials? I do agree with others that the rim width should be wider. I ran both BFG and Nitto 315/35/17 DRs on 10.5” rear rims @ 25psi on the street pretty successfully on a high horsepower SN95.

If you mean me the engine internals are stock but here’s my list of mods
CAI
75 mm throttle body
Trick flow plenum
UDPs
Long tube headers
Lightened flywheel
Cobra clutch
Tremec 3650 box
Aluminium propshaft
Cobra disc and callipers
4.10 gears
Diablosport 99 Ron tune ( 91 Mon )
Extreme nitto 315/35/17 tyres on rear
I’ve most likely left something out but I think I’ve got all the bolt ins but cams now. just wish I went the supercharger route now from the beginning but that will hopefully be next year now till I get that done.

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
275 is perfectly fine on a 9" rim. dont let anyone tell you otherwise, but a 315 is ridiculous.

use this website if you have questions about wheels and tire widths

willtheyfit.com

if you have 18s then these are the ratios you should run

275 35 18

255 35 18

if thats too thin of a wall for you then a 255 40 18 works, but 275 40 18 is a bit too much.

if 17th then 275 40 17 or 255 40 17

tire compounds are also important as well as the age and tread on the tires. it would be helpful if you tossed some pics in here too
Will 245/45/17 be ok on 9” wide wheels ?

Chris Stephens

Reaction score
Will 245/45/17 be ok on 9” wide wheels ?

Yes, and so would 275, which would be fine. I run on 275 Falkens in AutoCross. Contact patch is fine, and the tires fit very squarely. Some tires run wider or narrower, though, so just ask people before you run them.

With your mod list, I'm a bit surprised you're breaking traction like that. What's the suspension setup like?

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Yes, and so would 275, which would be fine. I run on 275 Falkens in AutoCross. Contact patch is fine, and the tires fit very squarely. Some tires run wider or narrower, though, so just ask people before you run them.

With your mod list, I'm a bit surprised you're breaking traction like that. What's the suspension setup like?

The suspension set up is as follows,
Tokico shocks and lowered 1.5” all round on Eibach sportline springs

Reaction score
245 on a 9 inch is too thin honestly. youre starting to reach ricer territory at that point because the tire is starting to stretch. like i said before, go to willtheyfit.com and play around with tire and rim widths

this is a comparrison of 245 35 18 and a 275 35 18 tire on a 9 inch wide wheel.
the offset does not matter at this point since we are talking about tire sizes, but you can see the difference of the tire fitting on the wheel with the orange and the green. this site is a great resource to have

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...ct2=35&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=9&offset2=20

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online