I need exhaust opinions please....

J.Cagle

Reaction score
Ok, I've been watching 94-95 5.0 exhaust videos for over an hour now. I just can't decide what to put on my car. My original plan was an o/r H with an American Thunder dumped catback(b/c its cheap). I'm leery of an o/r X since they usually are raspy on most anything they are on. Sorry to start such an overly discussed topic, but I want to get something I like the first time. I seriously went through 8 exhaust setups on my '05 gt before I was happy. I don't want to go through that again. What setup are you running, what are you thoughts on certain parts/systems ect. And cheap is always good. This is a budget project. Thanks, Jared

det_riot

Reaction score
bbk long tubes, offroad x, borla stingers, could not be happier. buy everything sed if you want budget.

OP
OP
J

J.Cagle

Reaction score
Does the word budget and Borla even belong in the same sentence? lol How much to they run? You talking just the mufflers dumped, or a full catback?

OP
OP
J

J.Cagle

Reaction score
Thats not bad at all! Whered you find the stingers? I didnt come up with anything with a quick search.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
i've had several setups on my car and my current setup is my overall favorite. It consists of Mac LT headers, Prochamber and Borla Stinger catback. In total I have $620 into my current setup.

det_riot

Reaction score
everything i buy i buy used. I'm cheap. Why pay 300 extra dollars for new hwen you can find everything slightly used. My long tubes and x pipe were 200 shipped to my door and the borlas were w/e the difference is. I got the LT's and x pipe off corral and borlas off craigslist. If you're patient and willing to "shop around" you'll find deals.

FrankenStang

Reaction score
the sound i liked most on a 5.0 consisted of bbk longtubes, h pipe , and borla stinegrs i belive they are called..no cats and 2.5in stainless..sounded fricken great...also had a mild cams and gt40 setup on it...

Raffaelli

Reaction score
Longtubes (bbk), off road H, 2 chamber flowmasters.

Classic fox mustang sound. Nice and loud. cheap too

Mrstangerbanger

Reaction score
Everyone loves how my car sounds ... I have Mac shorty heads with x pipe no cats and old old old school flowmasters and its sounds amazing .. I dont have dumps because its load and smells but its hard to find the old flowmasters ..

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
:( I have never found a setup that sounds good on my 5.0

Maybe its because of my o/r X, but i had flowmasters 40's .... a knock off flowmaster set ..... and now spintechs... and still not happy.
Might be trading them for mac pro dumps.

=[ I miss my 4.6L sound to be honest lol

Maybe i need to buy a cheap o/r H to be happy with my 5.0 sound.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
IMO if your looking to not have the super raspy sound then stay away from Flowmaster lol.. my old Flows were the loudest, most annoying mufflers i had ever heard in my entire freakin life. i HATED those things with a passion when i took the cats off. granite, i have a 4.6, but still i would guess that all around Flowmaster is the Raspmaster.

my current setup cost.. lol i hate to say it.. $1000.. and its still not done and i still need headers. but the sound is the best i have heard i love it. im running a Bassani catted X to 3in intermediate pipes to Borla XR1 3in mufflers. i still need to buy dumps for it but as it sits im in love with the sound. i too HATE the raspy sound of exhausts. i like the rasp on classic muscle, but newer muscle i cant stand it. im taking the cats off soon to see how it sounds, that will be the ultimate test for the Borlas for me.

but like i said if your looking for less rasp stay away from Raspmaster.. maybe not everyones rasp but mine sure as hell did

Nightmare

Reaction score
I have ran the flowmasters on both of the 5.0 fox body cars that I had and I loved them (even after I put on the BBK H pipe).

With the 4.6, the sound was ok with the Bassani x pipe and the Flowmaster American thunder exhaust.

I figured since I have a high dollar mid pipe might as well go with a high dollar cat back since two of the exhaust hangers broke on the way back from my last Rally, so I narrowed it down to Magnaflow Magnapacks, Borla Stingers, and the Bassani cat back.....

American Muscle ended up making the decision for me because they were out of stock of the Magnaflows and the Bassani (at the time I was really leaning more towards those two). I am glad it worked out that way, because the sound is sweet.

It has been my experience that on a 5.0, running an h-pipe and a good cat back will give you great sound (not knocking the flowmasters, however they are a little more restrictive than others out there)

For a mod motor, nothing beats a good x pipe and cat back.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
If you're dead set on a chambered style muffler, look to MAC flowpaths!! IMHO they're the best and I have them on both our Mustangs and our Z71..

[video=youtube;R6XMof4hVYE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6XMof4hVYE&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

My junk with shorties, Prochamber and Mac cat back
[video=youtube;mQ_RhO2qWhg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ_RhO2qWhg&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

But there's always this combo:

Edelbrock RPM2 intake, GT40p heads, custom cam
Long tubes, dr gas (discontinued??) x-pipe and bassani bx mufflers

[video=youtube;7N6KjC4JctA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N6KjC4JctA&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

OP
OP
J

J.Cagle

Reaction score
Ive actually listened to everyone of those videos several times lol. The first video with the mac catback sounds pretty good. Is it an o/r h or do you know? The last video is pretty awesome too, but I won't be doing an HCI anytime soon so Im not sure it'll sound as good on my car.

det_riot

Reaction score
not the greatest video because its in car and because of my exhaust leak but here's my set up w/ Long tubes, x pipe and borlas

[video=youtube;ceTOsxLQHRo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceTOsxLQHRo&feature=plcp[/video]

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
^^^ sex!!

The red GT actually has the factory catalytic h-pipe! My car had an explorer intake and an e303 cam.

Now it's just a beast:

[video=youtube;r64rebKnqOo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r64rebKnqOo&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Running rich though :/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online