i need more power

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
phil_the_thrill said:
98 GT, T45, CAI, Exhaust and PI intake

Ok silversol is right about the gears/poweradder deal, so you need to decide if you are really going to go with a power adder like blower/turbo/ or nos. Then make your plan for what you want. Personaly you dont HAVE to have a adder, you can just make the right changes to your N/A status. Like 3:73's or 4:10's ( HUGE change in performance there ) then the more than tried and true PI swap ( heads and cams ) a TB - upper Plenum - Long tubes - mass air to help feed those new PI parts. They can get you in the 12's . :)

OP
OP
P

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
yeah a power adder wont come for a little while so i was thinking about going with gears for now. i figured 3.73s would be a good medium. good for NA but will still work with power adder. i was just wondering how much time i could drop with gears.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
phil_the_thrill said:
yeah a power adder wont come for a little while so i was thinking about going with gears for now. i figured 3.73s would be a good medium. good for NA but will still work with power adder. i was just wondering how much time i could drop with gears.

yea you could go 373's with a blower, and you can drop a few tenths in the 1/4 with those gears :boink:

OP
OP
P

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
i would like to get gears now just cause third gear feels so sluggish. i'll ge goin to the track next weekend to get an official time and then go from there. i still have pi heads in my shed but i cant decide if i wanna put them on how they are or save up a lil while and get them worked and put some aftermarket cams in.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
phil_the_thrill said:
i would like to get gears now just cause third gear feels so sluggish. i'll ge goin to the track next weekend to get an official time and then go from there. i still have pi heads in my shed but i cant decide if i wanna put them on how they are or save up a lil while and get them worked and put some aftermarket cams in.

oh so you have heads, If I were you I would save a little and have them worked with some GOOD cams 8). Put your gears in now, go run some upper 14's then put your heads/cams in and run some 12's :boink: :boink: with the rest of the needed parts naturally

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
phil_the_thrill said:

save up and get those heads done right. you might as well. if your gonna do it, you might as well do it right.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
SilverSol said:
phil_the_thrill said:

save up and get those heads done right. you might as well. if your gonna do it, you might as well do it right.

not to mention the extra hp he will get from a good port job :eek:uttahere:

OP
OP
P

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
yeah thats why i held off putting them on right away. ill save a couple grand over the summer for gears and the heads. im still hoping to run in the 14s this weekend though but i got my fingers crossed

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
phil_the_thrill said:
yeah thats why i held off putting them on right away. ill save a couple grand over the summer for gears and the heads. im still hoping to run in the 14s this weekend though but i got my fingers crossed

A couple GRAND??? You can get those heads worked for around 500 bucks here in NC, then a grand for your cams........uh well yea I guess you will need a couple grand :comando:. Anyway it will be well worth it :)

OP
OP
P

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
yeah it adds up quick 500 for porting $600 for cams then another 600 or so for gears. i wish i had the money now...

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
phil_the_thrill said:
yeah it adds up quick 500 for porting $600 for cams then another 600 or so for gears. i wish i had the money now...

Crap I was quoteing a grand for cams ( thats for my 4 valve :rollinglaugh: ) yours is around 5 to 6 hundred. Then 500 or so for the port work, but on your gears, here in NC you can get them for just under 200 bucks ( NEW ) and then labor goes from around 100 at the shop I use to 200 or so at other places. So the entire job can be done for LESS than 600......around 300 or so for me :)

You guys in other parts of the country really have to pay out the ass for your gears :(

OP
OP
P

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
i called around and the cheapest i could find was $250 for the install. then you figure in $160 for gears, $75 for the bearing kit, $50 for fluid and $100 for the a speedcal it gets pricey

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
phil_the_thrill said:
i called around and the cheapest i could find was $250 for the install. then you figure in $160 for gears, $75 for the bearing kit, $50 for fluid and $100 for the a speedcal it gets pricey

what you getting a bearing kit for? I forgot about the speedcal

OP
OP
P

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
its always a good idea to replace the bearing while you got the rear end apart. thats what ive always been told anyway. plus i do a lot of donuts

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
phil_the_thrill said:
its always a good idea to replace the bearing while you got the rear end apart. thats what ive always been told anyway. plus i do a lot of donuts
ahh ok then, well to tell you I have had gears in ALL MY STANGS, and never done the bearings. Of course im not that hard on them either........donuts is not on my driving agenda :D

97blackgt

Reaction score
hey snakebit what kind of gains can be had with ported and polished PI heads with regular PI cams and intake on an almost stock engine? How much more power will ported and polished PI heads add over the non ported Pi heads?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online