i ran a 13.02 @ 106MPH in the 1/4 im pissed

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
what stronger t5 did you go with? I assume you went with the 350hp version and not a g force etc. because there are lots of guys powershifting with lots of power that havent had any problems.

Paul how much are you looking at spending? If you get slicks, rims , lcas, axles and carrier thats going to be a decent amount of $$ (pry get a driveshaft too) especially since you would most likely have to have a shop set up the rearend for you. I guess i dont know how strong the stock axles are but i think if you just stuck lcas on there you would get by with the stock axles. You just need the carrier not the whole diff and like truuble said you might want to upgrade to a locker instead of getting another trac loc carrier. I put a locker in my pickup and was worried about corning etc on the ice but i havent had a single problem yet (except now when i get stuck im in even deeper lmao) and you dont drive on ice or nothing so a locker would be a good upgrade. If you are launching @ 3k and not spinning too bad i think lca's would be enough instead of getting slicks and having to upgrade everything else but i guess thats up to you. A set of afrs/tw heads would really make a big difference with power i bet.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
MeanGrn Gt said:
what stronger t5 did you go with? I assume you went with the 350hp version and not a g force etc. because there are lots of guys powershifting with lots of power that havent had any problems.

Paul how much are you looking at spending? If you get slicks, rims , lcas, axles and carrier thats going to be a decent amount of $$ (pry get a driveshaft too) especially since you would most likely have to have a shop set up the rearend for you. I guess i dont know how strong the stock axles are but i think if you just stuck lcas on there you would get by with the stock axles. You just need the carrier not the whole diff and like truuble said you might want to upgrade to a locker instead of getting another trac loc carrier. I put a locker in my pickup and was worried about corning etc on the ice but i havent had a single problem yet (except now when i get stuck im in even deeper lmao) and you dont drive on ice or nothing so a locker would be a good upgrade. If you are launching @ 3k and not spinning too bad i think lca's would be enough instead of getting slicks and having to upgrade everything else but i guess thats up to you. A set of afrs/tw heads would really make a big difference with power i bet.
No It wasn't a g forece they cost more than my 3550.

Hellion94

Reaction score
Look at it this way Paul, what do you plan to do in the future?

Right now you are at a point where you can patch your car up to make it perform well at it's current state, or make it so that it can handle much more.

If you don't think there's going to be much more power down the road, or much more slicks use, then just get a t-5 rebuild and some Moser 28 spline axles.

If you plan on stepping it up a bit, get that 2.95 gearset and some 31's with a new carrier or a totally new diff.

If you plan on really stepping it up, get a tremec...etc. You get the point. It's better to do this kind of thing once, than do it repeatedly because the original choice wasn't the best.

OP
OP

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
basically in the near future i want to run slicks and be okay launching at 3-4K

OP
OP

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
ok i plan on doing a world class T5 with a new gear ratio in 1st. In the near future i want to run slicks with control arms, and i maybe getting heads..but for now it will just be slicks, control arms and headers. i want my car to run to the peak performance before i upgrade the engine, i know my car is faster than a 13.02

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
95KBGT said:
ok i plan on doing a world class T5 with a new gear ratio in 1st. In the near future i want to run slicks with control arms, and i maybe getting heads..but for now it will just be slicks, control arms and headers. i want my car to run to the peak performance before i upgrade the engine, i know my car is faster than a 13.02

world class T5 is going to be on borrowed time with slicks. If you practice you can get better times with just practice. Going to slicks in my opinion is bad (the weakest link will brake) If you want to go faster start turning up the boost. If you pick up more power you will get better times on top end. so breakage is limited.

This is just my opinion.

OP
OP

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
well at this time im going world class T5, the kit im getting is rated at low 11's. Then i will be buying control arms and slicks. i want to go upgraded axles, which ones are the ones i can just slip into what i have now. 28? i think i should be okay with slicks, if i have a better tranny and such. I was going to go tremec 3550 but they say they only hold 350HP... :(

97blackgt

Reaction score
stock dif should have any troble with the amount of torque that kbgt is putting down thoughright?

97blackgt

Reaction score
ohhhh yeah i was thinkng street tires.... :nonono: my bad :slap:

yeah with slicks there would def be a problem i can imagine

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
Detroit Locker with 31 spline Mosers . . . .

It lives in my car!!

G

GREG@SN95

bottom line...

w/ slics and LCAs you will most definately need axles... and the carrier will be running on borrowed time...

so when ya pull apart the rear ya might as well do it all...

get it out of the way and you'll see much lower times... then look into a better tranny

OP
OP

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
tranny will go in before anything, and i will get the LCA's and then try her again for 12's if im not succesful. Slicks, and axles will be in place.

So what all do i need for the 31 spline, w/ carrier? i need specific years and models of the carriers that will work and bolt in

G

GREG@SN95

95KBGT said:
tranny will go in before anything, and i will get the LCA's and then try her again for 12's if im not succesful. Slicks, and axles will be in place.

So what all do i need for the 31 spline, w/ carrier? i need specific years and models of the carriers that will work and bolt in

should be able to pull one out of an f150

there are #s on the diff that should match... not sure where... but it'd also be a good idea to measure the rear...

what you could do is pull a carrier out of an f150 and buy a good set of axles from summit... I'm 99% sure that any carrier out of any ford 8.8 rear should work...

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
03/04 cobras have 31 splines too. but honestly the carriers are not that expensive brand new (200 for the stock carrier for the 03/04 cobra), but any 8.8 31 spline carrier will do like greg said. Do some research before buying your axles. I just read about a guy bending either a moser or strange axle (cant remember which)pretty easily so then they went with superior and have run them for awhile w/o any problems.

What gear set are you getting for the t5. The best "stock type" (high alloy, t5z w/e you want to call it) gearset for a wc t5 holds 330 tq and wont be much better than the tremec 3550. It would suck to put the $$ in the tranny and then break it down the road again.

OP
OP

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
im going with the lower first gear gearset. the 2.95 like i said they guy said its good for low 11's and craig has seen them go 10's

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
well there are multiple higher (numerically lower) 2.95 gearsets out there but other than gforce and astro's (i dont think anyone else makes any aftermarket gearsets for the t5) thats why i was wondering what one you planned on getting. I assume is the "high alloy" z spec gearset is the one you are talking about which is good for around 330-350 tq i believe. You almost have 400 at the wheels right? now think of how much you are putting out @ the flywheel... w/e you do i wouldnt dare powershift it and id baby the hell out of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online