I think my rear is toast

Downshift

Reaction score
Someone let me know if I did or not. I am not 100% sure if its my rear end making noise because it kinda sounds like tire noise. I can only hear it when im in neutral because my exhuast makes it where I cant hear. Anyway when I pulled into my parking spot tonight I heard some kinda of weird noise almost like my tires are rubbing. I did just get 275s where I had 245s so I got a flashlight and looked but nothing. When I did my fuel filter about a month ago I saw that the rear end was kinda stained like it was leaking. So I looked at it tonight and there is a drip coming from the damn thing. I am gonna put some fluid in tomorrow but was wondering what your guys thoughts are. Im pretty pissed right now because it just sounds like my rear end. :-\

Pennywise2

Reaction score
You will not know for sure until you take your rear end apart.
I think your bearings could be shot.That means you will need
to rebuild your whole rear end.Get new gears if that is the case.
Your rear end should not be making any noises.Make sure you
have that checked out by your mechanic though.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
could be just the seal, depends on where it is leaking from...i would just get a rebuild kit and some new gears since they are one of the best bang for buck mods anyway..and you can install it yourself or spend $200-300 for someone else to do it.

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
I am my own mechanic lol. As far as the rebuild and everything I have gears sitting here brand new I have been wanting to put in for about 4 months now anyway. My main concern is that my limited slip isnt messed up. I am not sure what it would take to fry that but everything else I was planning on changing anyway when I put my gears in. How low would it have to be on fluid for things to get messed up? Im sure not that much but what if its say an 8th of a quart low? Would that mess anything up real bad? Im sure I will just have to see when I do the gears but just curious for now. I hope the gears themselves that are in there are ok I was planning on selling those to a buddy of mine doesnt look to good now... Oh well.

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
you will be ok, jack it up level, and take the diff cover off, and let the fluid drain, if the fluid has big metal shavings you could be in trouble, also have someone rotate the tires so you can inspect all the teeth in the gears.

Look at it this way, if its blown, you can upgrade axles, gears, maybe get a locker, new seals bearings, just build it beefy

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
Ya I am just gonna see how it goes hopefully I am gonna try to do it this weekend.... But we will see. I did a quick brake stand the other day to have someone see if I would still have smoke from both tires and I did so that was a little relief. I pulled the plug out of the diff and it had a decent amount of metal on the magnet but nothing large it was all very very tiny and there was none in the fluid that I could tell but that was only putting my finger in it. Thanks for the help though guys.

Hicks

Reaction score
Yay for new Gear!!!! 4:10's
Boooo for wallet... lol

ryclef331

Reaction score
I SERIOUSLY doubt that with your mods and only being an 1/8th of a quart low, you blew up anything in that rear end. Look at your brakes. Are the discs chewed all to hell?

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
Brakes are fine. I was only asking if it only being say an 1/8th low would do it harm it wasnt too low but it had about a quarter size ball of metal specs on the back of the plug on the magnet. Doesnt look like im gonna be able to do the gears this weekend either..... damnit. Oh well hopefully soon I just wont do anything other than normal driving til then to be on the safe side.

And im going 3.73 not 4.10 hicks lol. I dont like the 3.90s as it is haha call me dumb but I just like the feel of the 73s better.

G

GREG@SN95

well if the rear is leaking it could be low or even worse... empty on gear oil...

so pull it apart...

check for shavings

if everything looks good w/ minimal to no shavings then fix the seal thats leaking, and fill her up...

If it still makes the noise odds are that something else is the culprit...

low gear oil would make some noise...

so get it looked at asap

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online