I think my TPS took a crap :(

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by scarface, Oct 18, 2006.

1. scarface

scarface Guest

A few days ago I noticed my idle being really rough, and hanging around 1500. Then yesterday the stang wouldnt idle at all :nonono: It would cut off every time I slowed down to stop. It also began to violently buck at low rpms crusing when I wasnt touching the throttle.

So today I checked the voltage. 3.78 Volts at idle, 4.86 at full throttle.

Im guessing thats bad?

I took it off, and moved the lil circle inside. It has no resistance, and is making a scatchy crackling sound. I thought it was supposed to be kinda spring loaded, if I turned it one way it would spring back to the start position?

SOOOOOO is it bad? :noes:

2. MeanGrn Gt

MeanGrn Gt Well-Known Member

I think that is in the ballpark but i am not sure. Check it with the key turned on but do not start the car. Should be around or just under 1 volt then.

3. scarface

scarface Guest

in the ball park? of what being bad ? All of those readings were checked with the key on.

4. MeanGrn Gt

it was @ 3.78 with the key in the on position and the engine not running? If so than ya its got to be bad but i assume since you said it was idling that the motor was on. You want to check it w/o the engine running just with the key in the run position (forward)

5. scarface

scarface Guest

THe manual calls the key in the run position, no throttle, Idle.

6. MeanGrn Gt

Like i said if it is @ 3.87 with the key in the on position and the motor off than i would have to say the tps is bad. It is supposed to be around .95-1.00 with the key ON and the engine OFF

7. scarface

scarface Guest

Thanks bud! :) I thought so...but reasurance is a good thing.

8. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

Yeah thats a high V reading, did you just recently replace you TB and swap the TPS over?

9. scarface

scarface Guest

YEah, about 6 months ago. why? I dont remember the insides acting like I decribed then though?

10. DropTopPony

DropTopPony Administrator Staff Member Admin SN95 Supporter

I had a Ford tech tell me to put a new TPS on whenever you change your TB, thats why Ford includes a new one on the Ford Racing TB's. That and they are a bitch to get off...I guess you should just get a new one, i think they are like $30

11. scarface

scarface Guest

yeah, Im waiting for a responce from Randy with a price for a new one :)