I think my TPS took a crap :(

S

scarface

A few days ago I noticed my idle being really rough, and hanging around 1500. Then yesterday the stang wouldnt idle at all :nonono: It would cut off every time I slowed down to stop. It also began to violently buck at low rpms crusing when I wasnt touching the throttle.

So today I checked the voltage. 3.78 Volts at idle, 4.86 at full throttle.

Im guessing thats bad?

I took it off, and moved the lil circle inside. It has no resistance, and is making a scatchy crackling sound. I thought it was supposed to be kinda spring loaded, if I turned it one way it would spring back to the start position?

SOOOOOO is it bad? :noes:

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
I think that is in the ballpark but i am not sure. Check it with the key turned on but do not start the car. Should be around or just under 1 volt then.

OP
OP
S

scarface

in the ball park? of what being bad ? All of those readings were checked with the key on.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
it was @ 3.78 with the key in the on position and the engine not running? If so than ya its got to be bad but i assume since you said it was idling that the motor was on. You want to check it w/o the engine running just with the key in the run position (forward)

OP
OP
S

scarface

THe manual calls the key in the run position, no throttle, Idle.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
Like i said if it is @ 3.87 with the key in the on position and the motor off than i would have to say the tps is bad. It is supposed to be around .95-1.00 with the key ON and the engine OFF

OP
OP
S

scarface

Thanks bud! :) I thought so...but reasurance is a good thing.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah thats a high V reading, did you just recently replace you TB and swap the TPS over?

OP
OP
S

scarface

DropTopPony said:
Yeah thats a high V reading, did you just recently replace you TB and swap the TPS over?
YEah, about 6 months ago. why? I dont remember the insides acting like I decribed then though?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Ford tech tell me to put a new TPS on whenever you change your TB, thats why Ford includes a new one on the Ford Racing TB's. That and they are a bitch to get off...I guess you should just get a new one, i think they are like $30

OP
OP
S

scarface

yeah, Im waiting for a responce from Randy with a price for a new one :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.