I want to upgrade my brakes

07GtS197

Reaction score
Ive been tossing around idea of a brake upgrade for my 02 gt. The only thing is I have factory 17” bullitts and I dont see myself getting new rims soon, maybe down the road though. Is my only option cobra brakes up front? Id love to go with s550 calipers in the future though, theyre huge compared to the stock calipers! Also does anyone have ideas on a rear brake upgrade? Mind you this isnt a track car (Id like to take it in the future though) so I dont need anything crazy but an upgrade from the factory brakes. Thanks.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
What's your budget? That'll play a big part. We did the Cobra upgrade on my son's 98 and he said it was a noticable difference. That included going to the larger rear rotors.

On my 04 I stepped up to the Baer 6P and I'm very happy with them. They use the stock 13" rotor. My buddy noticed the difference in braking from his 01 Cobra almost right away. But I'm running FR500 rims so clearance isn't an issue.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You won’t be doing the s550 brakes with a 17. They barely fit some 18’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
I have a good sum saved up lol. Like I said though its not a track car so I dont need anything crazy and dont want to get new wheels just yet.

So the Baer will fit stock 17s?

I saw someone bump the FTR thread about s550 brakes and it got me thinking about down the road but the fact it uses 3.4” spacers doesnt sit well with me. Its still pretty cool. I bought a second pair of s197 calipers a while back just in case I wanted to go with that combo and 14” rotors but Im pretty sure I sold them.

Anyway in the meantime Id like some better performance. I havent driven it too aggressively recently since its been sitting but I do get some brake fade with my 07 gt so I figure if it happens on newer style brakes itll probably happen on the older ones worse.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
If you go on Baer's website they have a template you can print out to check fit. That's what I did before I ordered my calipers. I know they'll clear 03/04 rims. I couldn't tell you about the other styles. The Baers are a little wider than the Cobra calipers.

Mustanger

Reaction score
I went with Bullitt/Cobra brakes front/rear. Upgraded to the 13" Rotors with Baer Decelarotor & Hawk HPS Street pads. Added Russell SS brakes lines & the Cobra Master Cyl (95) ...bought prebent Master Cylinder Brake lines from LMR...I couldn't be happier with my brakes now! They bite so much better that the GT ones...they never fade & I have great confidence in them! You will also need the Cobra spare tire too as the GT spare will not clear the 13" rotors! You need the Cobra Anti moan brackets on the rear too. I plan on staying with my 17" rims so no 14"'s in my immediate future. Good luck!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
spare tire? What is this you speak of? You carry an extra one around just in case?! I just don't plan on getting a flat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online