iac mod

ripper

Reaction score
Yea it works but you could just unplug your IAC and turn your idle screw up till it idles right. Same thing LOL. On cold starts it will keep stalling until its warmed up so you have to sit and rev till it warms up. My tuner fixed my high rev in my tune. Took 5 mins and it works perfect. Think he took 35% off my IAC.

S

scarface

there is a much easier way to do that mod....
***copied from Corral....****

This is the cheapest fix possible. Go to your friendly neighborhood hardware store and buy a 1/2 inch copper pipe cap.If you don't already have one get a 3/16 inch drill bit also.Take everything home and drill a 3/16" hole in the top of the pipe cap.Remove the 3/4 inch OD hose from the IAC and place the pipe cap with the hole inside.Start the car and if the idle isn't fast enough you can always open the hole slightly with an old pocketknife.It doesn't take much to change the idle.Check your idle speed with the A/C on and again when very cold.I found that manual trannys even benefit from smoother shifts.Cost for a copper pipe cap $.29.

S

scarface

yes. Basically you are reducing the size of the hole air travels through to the IAC.

OP
OP
R

ROB 98GT

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip !! It worked out great, it's alot easier than takin off iac and tracing the gasket out. I'm about 500-550rpm at idle with no stall. :dancing6:

atrainsgt

Reaction score
I realize this is an old topic but I thought I would bump it back up and add my experience sense its a problem with all sn95's. I just did the copper pipe cap mod on mine and drilled it to 3/16" and it helped quite a bit the idle falls allot quicker now but still not as quick as I would like. Luckily I bought 2 end caps at the same time so I'm going to try it again with a smaller bit and see if that works better. Thanks for the info guys :TY:

atrainsgt

Reaction score
It makes the RPM's drop quicker, every mustang that I have ever rode in that is stock has a lingering idle. This mod is suppose to stop it and it pretty much did. I am probably just expecting a bit to much of a 10 year old mod engine.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
myillwillinc said:
what is the benefit of this mod?

If you have an auto, you probably won't notice, but on manual car's when you go to shift, it kinda stays at the same RPM for a second, then slowly drifts down. You could shift 17 times in the time it takes to drop back to idle.

BTW, I'm sure Ford does this to keep people from mis-matching rpms as much as possible and keeping the shock load off the synchro's. NOt that I think it will be an issue or anything, just fyi.

atrainsgt

Reaction score
I have a 5-speed and the synchros are already shot and no I didn't cause that. The rpms still don't drop as quick as I would like, they still like to linger at 1500 or so for a couple seconds.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
why would you want the RPMs to drop faster.

...the RPM Hang is good because if you go to Rev Match Downshift with a manual, the RPMs hang for a minute so it is easier to rev match

voidfinger

Reaction score
i think its a kick ass mod. Just wonder if there is any really bad stuff that comes along with it.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
voidfinger said:
i think its a kick ass mod. Just wonder if there is any really bad stuff that comes along with it.

Well, like Handz and I have said, Ford does this to make it easier on the synchros, and easier for rev matching. I don't think it'll be an issue if you know how to drive a stick, but still. I'm sure they did it on purpose.

atrainsgt

Reaction score
Today my car was acting like the mod was never done. The idle was hanging just as bad as it always has. Must be another problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online