iac mod

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Some kind of one way valve thing. You're talking about the retangular plastic box right?

96gtchinook

Reaction score
that one way valve is called a check valve so air can only flow one direction.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
....today i was driving and thinking about this thread and how much i like my idle hanging a little...make rev matching see much easier

atrainsgt

Reaction score
I've never driven a car that has this hanging idle, I may not like it simply because I've never had it. I hear an aluminum flywheel gets rid of most of the idle hang, for road racing that hanging idle is terrible.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
atrainsgt said:
I've never driven a car that has this hanging idle, I may not like it simply because I've never had it. I hear an aluminum flywheel gets rid of most of the idle hang, for road racing that hanging idle is terrible.

for road racing that idle hang is great, it makes Heel-Toe Driving LOADS easier because it holds the revs up just before you heel the gas... this way you dont have to heel the gas so much to get the revs up

S

scarface

a down fall of this mod is, IF done right, you loose you cold start high idle.

atrainsgt

Reaction score
I did notice that it dropped down to about 500rpms briefly when started cold but thats a very minor issue. No worse than starting up a car with a carburetor.

voidfinger

Reaction score
well with an auto would the low idle cold starts cause problems?

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
voidfinger said:
well with an auto would the low idle cold starts cause problems?

partially, i've only had it stall once or twice, but i think it's other factors, like my small vaccum leak. It makes a great difference, and anyone who knows how to drive a 5 speed right would rather had the correct idle down. If your to lazy and or to unexperienced with driving your car to not know how to get the rev matched to your gear/speed, then learn how to drive :hammer: i can just be rolling along, drop a gear and the passenger doesn't feel a difference in how it dropped a gear, this of course in my 5.0s but basically the same.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
J.R. said:
myillwillinc said:
what is the benefit of this mod?

If you have an auto, you probably won't notice, but on manual car's when you go to shift, it kinda stays at the same RPM for a second, then slowly drifts down. You could shift 17 times in the time it takes to drop back to idle.

BTW, I'm sure Ford does this to keep people from mis-matching rpms as much as possible and keeping the shock load off the synchro's. NOt that I think it will be an issue or anything, just fyi.

so if you have an auto it's kinda pointless?

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Pretty much, autos shift quicker. There's no time for the idle to really hang.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Well I know autos have SHITTY throttle responce compared to manuals but hopefully with that stall, jmod and gears it won't be as much of a problem haah.

Also I noticed when reving my car compared to when my friend revs his 94 50 5speed, his revs up then drops right back down... autos rev up then slowly drop back down to idle.... it's kinda annoying, that's what I meant by shitty throttle response...

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
my96gtstang said:
Well I know autos have SHITTY throttle responce compared to manuals but hopefully with that stall, jmod and gears it won't be as much of a problem haah.

Also I noticed when reving my car compared to when my friend revs his 94 50 5speed, his revs up then drops right back down... autos rev up then slowly drop back down to idle.... it's kinda annoying, that's what I meant by shitty throttle response...

That's the hanging idle, his car is probably already modded, it's a pretty old and popular one.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
No, I don't think he has done this mod.. That's what I'm saying. I mean it's not stock it's got some work done to it but still.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nope, but I'm guessing it's a second, third or even fourth hand car?

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was suggesting someone already did it, before him, It's kinda like an air silencer, people do it right away, it's cheap, easy, and makes the car sound cooler.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online