iac sensor

Tattoogod

Reaction score
ok heres what happend..i took the iac off sprayed the crap out of it with carb spray and the 2 holes on the TB. and the butterfly inside the TB .when i hooked it all back up anmd started it..i got the almight check engine light..can i reset the computer by unhooking the battery for an hour or so . or do i need the have the codes pulled by a tester to get rid of it.? thx

Tim

hissedoff

Reaction score
How was the idle quality after you replaced everything? If you disconnect the negative batt cable for 20 minutes it should clear the memory. If it trips again, you may want to pull the codes. I just thought of this... Maybe if you took it apart again and let the carb cleaner evaporate out of there, it may not trip the CEL. Just a thought.

Nick

Reaction score
Disconnect the ground side of the battery, turn the headlights on turn your brights on, then turn everything off, wait 15 min. reconnect the battery and that should clear the memory.

OP
OP
T

Tattoogod

Reaction score
heres something strange ..did an eec test and no codes were pulled..but my engine light is still on

ryclef331

Reaction score
To clear the computer, take the cables off the battery...BOTH of them. Then touch the cables together. That will instantly drain the memory battery in the car's ECU. Works everytime. My stang, my lightning, my roommate's 03 cobra.

As for the CEL. Its on for a reason...are you pulling the codes correctly? Taking the parts store or doing it youself? Engine Running or Engine Off? That could be the difference. It could be a quick code and not a continuous memory code. Key On/Engine Off is the "quick" diagnostic check. It won't shoot out ALL the codes...just the continuous memory ones.

OP
OP
T

Tattoogod

Reaction score
your saying touch the neg and pos together right.i took it to the auto parts store..they tried several testers.

ryclef331

Reaction score
yeah take the cables OFF the battery completely and just touch them together. Its not going to spark or anything. Do you have a Haynes manual for the car? If so, read in there about pulling codes yourself. There is a few things ya gotta do but overall its pretty simple to read them. You just need a jumper wire and a voltmeter. Do it both ways. I'd explain but i would take all day to type it out. YOu're better of just picking up a manual to read it for yourself. Also...where on the car were they checking for the codes? From the port under the hood I hope...I think you got a quick code and you need the car running to get it. again, if that light is on, there is a code.

OP
OP
T

Tattoogod

Reaction score
we tried it under the hood and under the dash..no luck..it did blink one time then came back on

OP
OP
T

Tattoogod

Reaction score
ok i unplugged the battery for 30 minutes..touched the neg and pos together..i even held my mouth different ways (J/K) lol.i did it every way ive ever known.All this over cleaning the stupid IAC sensor..wonder if i buy i new one if the light would go away

ryclef331

Reaction score
you need to get a manual and do the test with the engine running. WHen the car does its self diagnostic mode, it does alot of stuff like rev up, spit out codes, and stuff like that. If you know you're doing the test right and it ISN'T throwing out codes or flash the CEL in your face, you got bigger problems than the IAC. Take it for what its worth.

OP
OP
T

Tattoogod

Reaction score
like i said it did flash one time went off .....then it showed back up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online