IAT sensor relocation for the Vortech?

BLWNBYU

Reaction score
Unless you can verify that the transfer function is the same for the Lightning IAT I would advise not using that. Its the same equivalent of using the mass air meter off of a different vehicle and expecting it to read the same for a given value

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Unless you can verify that the transfer function is the same for the Lightning IAT I would advise not using that. Its the same equivalent of using the mass air meter off of a different vehicle and expecting it to read the same for a given value

maybe it would work better with my 90 mm lightning maf? :)

BLWNBYU

Reaction score
Same thing when you use the built in iat off the maf. The transfer function for the iat is different there too

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
http://eectuning.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19590
Last post
" By*decipha*» Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:01 pm

the thermistors are all the same, act, ect, iat, they all have the same transfer so no, no transfer needs to be changed, and even if it did which it doesn't you couldn't anyway because the ect and act transfer is shared so you'd throw off the ect

but its the same so all that is null

decipha*6743*Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:45 am*New Orleans, LA"

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I appreciate the help and not trying to be difficult but if you know of one that works better I would love to hear it and open to ideas. But otherwise this is all I have to go with now after you insisted it needs to be in the runner.

BLWNBYU

Reaction score
I have an email from Michael contradicting his own statement 5 years later...

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I have an email from Michael contradicting his own statement 5 years later...

Well... ha ha.. i didn't have any issue with it using the integraded iat. . As far as i know the lighning one is the one that has been used on the swap or a fox body one..

BLWNBYU

Reaction score
But.. I'm using an 05 style so that may be where the discrepancy is. It may be safe to assume the LMAF and Cobra Mafs use the same transfer function. I know for a fact the later slot meters do not. Michael is an awesome guy to deal with :)

decipha

Reaction score
just for clarification, I have never had any issues using different ACT/IAT sensors over the years, off the top of my head I am unaware of any variances in the different ACT/IAT/ECT/TOT/TFT temp thermisters henry has used over the years, however that excludes the CHT - cylinder head temperature sensors henry has used on trucks crown vic marauders and the like, they have a much different transfer

but regardless in any case, IF there is any variance in the temp sensors its minimal and when tuning you can compensate for any variation it gives you no problem

I highly recommend mounting the act/iat in the inlet piping where it can measure air charge temps more accurately, same applies to maf mounted ACTs that ideal, AFAIK only the foxbody era engines had the ACT mounted in the manifold which is prone to heat soak and as a result inaccurate ACTs

all the info you need to know can be found in my pre tune info write up
http://info.efidynotuning.com/pre.htm

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Glad you revisited this as I still need to relocate mine and need something to do while the paint on my interior pieces curse. I am going to put it in the lower intake runner
as suggested with my meth kit and just need to figure out what sensor will work or is the best. F6SZ-12A697-A was suggested a page or two ago but when I try vautozone search it doesn't come up with anything. Any help?

BLWNBYU

Reaction score
Glad you revisited this as I still need to relocate mine and need something to do while the paint on my interior pieces curse. I am going to put it in the lower intake runner
as suggested with my meth kit and just need to figure out what sensor will work or is the best. F6SZ-12A697-A was suggested a page or two ago but when I try vautozone search it doesn't come up with anything. Any help?
Any idea what thread size the iat may he on my 97?

busta

Reaction score
So I did something silly. I relocated the IAT sensor to the intake tube between the Vortech and the throttle body as some of you have. Of course I had to extend the wires, and I noticed that one wire was gray with a red stripe and the other gray. So I cut the sensor off, and behold! The ends of the wires left on the sensors had no markings haha. So I took a chance and wired it back up hoping I connected the correct wires to each other and the car starts, runs and drives just fine.

Question, if I did wire the sensors backwards, I'm sure I would have tripped a CEL or the car wouldn't be running right - is that correct?

busta

Reaction score
And I'm being told that the IAT sensor has no polarity and it doesn't matter if I switched the wires - is that true?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online