Idle Gone Wrong

ssarka

Reaction score
Somebody please help lol. My 98 get has been acting funny for a while. If you start it with the air on it'll drop down to crazy low and either die or catch itself. When the air is off and you start it the idle runs up to about 13-1400 and hangs for a little while. It's drivable but it really chokes and has poor throttle response until it levels out. And yes this motor has been pi swapped and has a cold air kit. I've tried searching but haven't found anything like this. The IAC has been pulled and cleaned. It really didn't have much carbon build up and from the looks of it it was fine. I know MAF and EGR can cause probs as well but I wast sure which one it could be. Thanks reading and thanks ahead of time.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The MAF sensor takes about 20 seconds to clean so I would start there. Just use carb cleaner on a q-tip to make sure you don't damage it. You can also check the voltage on your TPS to make sure the car is idling properly.
Have you checked the car for vacuum leaks? The lines tend to break after so many years. I've replaced a few already.

Also, the IAC isn't really something you can just clean and assume it works better. Yes, it's possible to clean it, but I've found to honestly fix the IAC issue is to replace it completely.

OP
OP
S

ssarka

Reaction score
Yea I figured the MAF would be next to work with. The only reason I didn't replace the IAC to begin with is I'm on that high school budget haha. But I'll definitely look into the TPS as well. As far as lines go most vacuum lines have been replaced a while back. Thanks for the info man!

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yea I figured the MAF would be next to work with. The only reason I didn't replace the IAC to begin with is I'm on that high school budget haha. But I'll definitely look into the TPS as well. As far as lines go most vacuum lines have been replaced a while back. Thanks for the info man!

No problem. I got my IAC for $40 brand new I think. You can also get one at a junkyard for like $5 and just test it out to see if that's the problem if you're eager about spending the money without being sure. These cars are notorious for having idle and air problems. The intake manifolds are also known to crack so make sure to check there as well.

Here's a nice little write-up for common idles issues/solutions for these cars:

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/iac.php

make sure to go all the way to the bottom, there's 5 pages I believe. (check out part 2 - The throttle body)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Staff online

Members online