Idle issue when cold

1994gt

Reaction score
When engine is cold, as in first thing in the morning, the engine idles like it has a mild cam in it. Then after a few minutes it levels out and is fine. Doesn't die or run funny except for the idle. After work I start it in the afternoon and it's fine. Don't remember it doing this last year but who knows. Is this normal electric choke working or is there something else that it could be? Car has BBK cai, 70 mm throttle body, and exhaust. Had a lot of maintenance stuff done before I bought it. I cleaned the iac valve and MAF sensor as well. Any thoughts? Coolant temp sensor??

red94

Reaction score
definitely not normal. I would try cleaning the IAC again. Or maybe time to replace it. It could possibly be the temp sender. Possible to be stuck in the warm position.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like the typical "sn95 idle surge." There's a sticky in here somewhere on how to fix it.

Sent from bored/stroked iPhone 6 Plus

OP
OP
1994gt

1994gt

Reaction score
It only does it first thing in the morning and for about 3-4 minutes then it's fine. Doesn't do it the rest of the day. warmer mornings may even be less than that.

red94

Reaction score
Id swap the temp switch. they are cheap and easy to change.

JKady

Reaction score
Put some plugs in it and clean the iac. My car had done this for the whole time I owned it, finally quit being lazy and figured out some geek had put Bosch platinums (seriously some of the worst plugs known to man) in it. Tossed those and put some autolite 25's in, gapped at .048 and she runs like a dream now, hot or cold.

OP
OP
1994gt

1994gt

Reaction score
Already did auto lite plugs this past summer along with cap, rotor, and wires. I'll try the coolant sensor and see where that gets me. It's only about $30.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online