idle problem..

badass98svt

Reaction score
The bottom wire is a ground I believe.
You need to get the .93 middle wire to .97-.98

Just fiddle with it, I forget which way you need to spin it. You may need to elongate the holes. But you are so close you may not have to.

GDawg

Reaction score
I could never re-adjust my TPS when I was doing an earlier plenum swap. My volt numbers were never what anyone else said it should be. Once I put in the blower it was weird. I recently replaced it and now it's fine.

voidfinger

Reaction score
yea, i heard that they go bad sometimes and you just need to replace them.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Yes, they can definitely go bad. But to see if it is INDEED bad, you need to test it.
It should read between .97 - .98, and then gradually increase as you pull the throttle cable.

OP
OP
S

spdracer

Reaction score
i adjusted it to.978 or sumthin around there and the problem is still the same.. having my rear 02 sensor setting a code off would that have any thing to do with this? i have offroad h and mil's (i think the mil's are till workinm) let me know what i should try n ext....

97blackgt

Reaction score
yes that could cause a problem...replace the bad o2 sensor frist off

badass98svt

Reaction score
MILs do not cancel out the entire o2 sensor.
In other words, if the sensor is bad That doesn't mean the MILs are broken.
You need to replace the o2 and the MILs will work again.

OP
OP
S

spdracer

Reaction score
got my new o2 in adjusted the tps to .98 and the problem still occurs.. looks like its time to buy new parts.. tps or iac? this is frustrating me... street legals are tonite at the track and i wana get this sorted out!~!!

voidfinger

Reaction score
for those problems i would get the iac valve, but to be safe i would get the tps. also. hope it helps man and i hope thats all it is. :dunno:

OP
OP
S

spdracer

Reaction score
ok cool tahnks for the help.. i'll do iac first then tps...

badass98svt

Reaction score
If the TPS voltage changes gradually as you move the throttle cable, then it's fine.
Clean the IAC thuroughly with some carb cleaner. While the carb cleaner is in there, move the spring around with a screwdriver as well.
You'll see the spring when you remove the IAC, it's inside.

voidfinger

Reaction score
i thought he already cleaned it . if so , just try again and when you do tape up one end so the cleaner cant get out and then cover the other with your finger and shake the living shit out of it. also, you might want to tap the sides of the canaster and stuff with the fat end of a screw driver. that should loosen some of it up. also be careful with the gasket. good luck

OP
OP
S

spdracer

Reaction score
yeah already cleaned the living crap outa the iac.. think im ognna replace the tps first see how that goes (47.00) canadian and the iac is 90.89... does cleaning the iac always work? or is it just a quick fix and eventually clenaing wont work anymore. also when replacing the tps with a new one do i just bolt it on or do i have to make sure when tightning the volt meter stays around .98-.99???

voidfinger

Reaction score
ive got the stock one, and i've cleaned it about twice a year for the last , say 9 years. Its still working , knock on wood, so i hope it stays. :)

badass98svt

Reaction score
spdracer said:
when replacing the tps with a new one do i just bolt it on or do i have to make sure when tightning the volt meter stays around .98-.99???

Yes, you need to adjust it to .97-.98
I DOUBT it's your TPS
It could also be the throttle cable or throttle body getting stuck...

OP
OP
S

spdracer

Reaction score
well put a new tps on this mornin adjusted it accordingly, replaced my shitty o2 (no more codes) throttle body getting stuck sounds like it would make sense considdering the problem im having, how can i go about unsticking it.

badass98svt

Reaction score
I'm not too sure how to "unstick" it, because i dunno what's sticking.
Maybe the cable needs to be lubed?
Does the pedal seem to move freely?

nyuk98gt

Reaction score
spdracer:

I am pretty sure you have a vacuum leak. Check all connections from the air filter to the intake manifold. Is the temperature sensor installed in the intake tube? Is the PCV hose connected to the intake tube? Is the IAC hose connected to the intake tube? Are the PCV and IAC hoses connected to their sources? A vacuum leak means that extra air getting sucked in and it is not measured by the computer. This causes a high idle and a lean condition. The IAC has a thin gasket that is easily ripped. If it is not 'perfect', it will leak. You might want to put a thin film of RTV sealant on the throttle body-to-upper plenum flange. Don't use much, just a film to fill in any imperfections in the mating surfaces. You can check to see if the t/b blade is closing completely because it should rest on the little black set screw (it should have some green paint or something on it to prevent it coming loose or being adjusted). Check that the range of opening is smooth and there are no sticky spots from fully closed to fully opened. The t/b has a coating from the factory that should not be cleaned with carb cleaner or brake cleaner, just a clean rag (wet or dry). FWIW, the computer measures the TPS voltage at start-up and uses this value as the zero/closed t/b position. The TPS can be off a little and it will still work OK. (If it is at 0.8 V, it's a problem).

HTH,

Chris

OP
OP
S

spdracer

Reaction score
i haeve gone over everything checked for vacume leaks took off mt iac and re put it on making sure the gasket was linned up properly, as well as the t/b gasket. all sensors are in with no leak. i will check the inside of the t/b see if its sealing properly it seeems like that is the only thing that i have left out and could be causing this.

White 96GT

Reaction score
My car did this after I sat my set screw on the throttle body open trying to get it to Idle down one night. It did this so I recommend at least try turning the dam set screw on the throttle body shaft just to see if it works. you may have turned it. I doubt it but still its free so give it a go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online