If putting t56 in a 95GT can I do this?

Sklander

Reaction score
I have a 347 small block modular motor with 205 AFR heads sitting in my garage. I need to figure out what kind of tranny I want to go with. I would really like to get a t56 in it from a cobra/viper/vette... I think it would be perfect. I am going with a different rear end and driveshaft, too, so I could make it work with the t56 fairly easily.

What do y'all think? Should I stick with the 5 speed Treme TKO 500 that I planned on or go with the t56 6 speed?

Addermk2

Reaction score
T-56 = $3700 conversion

Either get a TKO, or a G-force T-5

The T-5 is a lighter transmission and has a lower rotating mass, which helps get the power to the ground easier!

OP
OP
S

Sklander

Reaction score
So I guess that 6 speed really is not necessary at all. May as well go with TKO 500 that I have heard is STOUT. I don't want anything breaking here...

What kind of rear end should I put in the car to handle all the extra horsepower? Can I buy a complete rear end from a place? eBay?

OP
OP
S

Sklander

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up.

I am kinda new to this entire process and I am realizing how complicated all this stuff is and how many things need to work right to produce a nice running car, but I am really enjoying learning about all this stuff.

I have a question for you: Why would you tell me to go with 4:10's in stead of, say, 3.73's? The motor is going to make a lot of power, so why have such a low rear end ratio? I just want to learn, man, please explain if you wouldn't mind.

And honestly man, money isn't too much of a problem. This is something that me and my dad have been planning on doing and I know a lot about how to do this stuff and he told me if I do it by myself, with help from him and my genius neighbor we can go all out. I REALLY want the T56. I think it would be a perfect fit for the car. can you tell me why, other than the money, I could not do the T56 conversion into this car? Do you need special equipment? Mounting... I got a welder... haha... Gonna get a new driveshaft and rear end, so why not?

I want 6 speeds, damnit!

OP
OP
S

Sklander

Reaction score
You hit it dead on. 6500 will probably be an upper limit. The t56 is going in... I want 6 gears.

ryclef331

Reaction score
IF you want to stick with a bolt in style built T5...the G-Force is a nice piece but as the owner of a G-Force T-5, I gotta reccomend you call up Tony at Astroperformance.com and tell him you want to get info on there new "super t5" gearset. I bought my g-force from them and they have been NOTHING BUT 100% Helpful. Hands down the best customer service I've ever encountered. I had a slight issue with my 3rd gear in my G-Force. Nothing big but I had to send it back to get it repaired by astro. It wasn't any fault of astro's but a problem with the component from G-Force. Astro has since started to make there own gearsets now in addition to selling the G-Force set. I gotta say, if their gearset is as good as their customer service, its going to be a quality piece.

CanaryGT

Reaction score
The Super T5 Conversion is actually crazy. I would suggest it but i dunno.... when you have 4.10's like i do, i would definitely see the reason behind getting that xtra gear...

OP
OP
S

Sklander

Reaction score
I can get a great deal on a t56 somewhere... I want that extra gear.

On a diffent note, I went to change flat this morning and broke the key lock piece. Do I need to contact ford or what?

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Unless you get a Viper spec T56 the extra gear is between the 4th and 5th of a T5, the 6th gear ratio is almost identical to that of a T5. I think its .68 to .62

OP
OP
S

Sklander

Reaction score
Viper Spec T56 is what we are looking at. I have been reading a lot on the subject lately. The Viper tranny is sick, and thats whats going in this car.

Z28 This

Reaction score
i think a buddy of mine is still selling his viper t56 tranny for 1000 if ur interested...

Cobradaddy95

Reaction score
I put a t56 in my 95 cobra and I love it way better than my t5. Got it from D&D not the viper one, went in with little mods, you'll need to fab a crossmember. Dont listen to people who say you need to be going 60-70 mph to put it in 6th thats retarded. With 373's in the rear I can roll at 40-45 mph no problem, 2400-2600 rpm at 80mph. If you want it stronger in the future G force also has a kit for it thats handles 1000+hp something that their TKO 600 cant do! Go for it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online