If you have an AUTO with 4.10's, PLZ READ

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

thanks for the input you guys. i understand your suggestions for shift kits and trans coolers, etc - but my main question is whether that stuff is NECESSARY, or just "something nice to do". I can't afford a cent more then what it'll cost for the gears and install. So I want to know whether it's better for me to wait till I can afford the trans cooler, shift kit (jmod), and all those other suggestions - or if it is OK to go ahead and just get the gears in there and drive it like I stole it without all that other stuff. What do you all think?

Jack the Ripper

Reaction score
On my new edge i got the 4:10's installed. and i had a diablow tuner already.

No shift kid
no Jmod
no transcooler

never had a single problem.

in fact, ive never heared any requirements other than a speedo adjustment

unless yer old round is that much different than my new edge, i dont see why you would need that stuff either.

same engine, same tranny right?

jmod has nothing to do with having 4:10's.

just put em in, you will be grinning from ear to ear. Autos LOVE 4:10s

voidfinger

Reaction score
that stuff isn't required to do the swap, but if you want performance out of your auto then shiftkit/jmod/TorqueConverter and if you want it to live a longer life then put a cooler on it. But you don't have to so have fun with the gears and just keep this stuff in the back of your head. One thing i would highly recommend though is for you to put royal purple or some other performance gear lube in the pumpkin with the install and put some limited slip stuff in. Also, change your trans fluid for hi po fluid and filter. Makes everything happy for a while. good luck

94gtstang50

Reaction score
I have 4.10s in my gt and the best bet is to get the dallas mustang speedcal. Not only can you get your speedo dead on, but you can change it for whatever tire setup you have. The gear is nice if you wanna be in the ball park of your actual speed, but it is a jeep part and will eventually wear out. The speedcal was easy as pie to install. As far as the rear gears go, unless you know what you are doing do not do it yourself. Unless your car is doing "one wheel peels" your diff should be fine for another year. Personally I put a torsen diff in mine when the gears were done and it made a world of difference. Best advice is to save your money, get everything you need and do it right rather than do it half ass and blow your shit up in a few months and end up spending more on the repairs. As far as the shift points, the tweecer rt is a program you can get that allows you to electronically select your shift points and the firmness of them. Its a complicated program and it would be best to have a performance shop do the tune for you. And for hitting the rev limiter, with just the gears i was shifting at 5k and the trans didnt shift until 5600 if i remember correctly, after hitting the limiter and hurting my 1/4 mile time. Still for realtively cheap performance its worth it.

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

Thanks again for all the info. But, see, look at the last 3 posts before this one - 2 guys sayin 'go for it, don't worry about the other stuff right now', then someone adds in their 2 cents that are more towards 'don't half ass it and save for ALL the things at once' - this is what makes it so tough to make an informed decision. Everyone's got their own preferences and experiences. Obviously, lots of you guys/girls have made the gear swap happen without any problems and without any other mods. Thats what I like to hear, because that's what I can afford when the winter is over. As I said previously though, I just want to be sure that I'm not half assing the mod and putting my car at risk of damage because I didn't do things "right". By the sounds of it, doing just gears (and having them installed professionally, with good lube in the diff, and a change in tranny lube) is NOT half-assing the mod, but rather just not getting the MOST out of it like you would with adding a JMOD or shift kit. Would this be an accurate summary?

A few other questions: 1) I've read about the Dallas Speed Cal, but I'm not exactly sure what it entails .... a programmer of some sort? 2) What's "hi po" fluid and filter? Only ATF I've ever seen is just normal ATF ... haven't come across any variations before. :dunno:

Jack the Ripper

Reaction score
Wes8398 said:
Thanks again for all the info. But, see, look at the last 3 posts before this one - 2 guys sayin 'go for it, don't worry about the other stuff right now', then someone adds in their 2 cents that are more towards 'don't half ass it and save for ALL the things at once' - this is what makes it so tough to make an informed decision. Everyone's got their own preferences and experiences. Obviously, lots of you guys/girls have made the gear swap happen without any problems and without any other mods. Thats what I like to hear, because that's what I can afford when the winter is over. As I said previously though, I just want to be sure that I'm not half assing the mod and putting my car at risk of damage because I didn't do things "right". By the sounds of it, doing just gears (and having them installed professionally, with good lube in the diff, and a change in tranny lube) is NOT half-assing the mod, but rather just not getting the MOST out of it like you would with adding a JMOD or shift kit. Would this be an accurate summary?
:

I dunno about 94GtStAnG5o, but ive had my 4:10's in for over a year now and never had a problem. Yer NOT gonna blow up your rear end with 4:10's unless you have some sort of an adder. If yer turbo'ed, SC'd, or Juiced then yeah you need to be a bit more careful and probably go with a built rear end if playing with 4:10s

I certainly wouldnt consider 4:10's and a lube job half assing it. As far as the install kit goes there is one vfor higher mileage cars and one for lower. i believe the higher mileage one has new bearings. only and extra 20-30 bucks on the kit.

Actually im pretty suprised. Of all the times of seeing questions about 4:10 installs, over the past several years of lurking around on MPH, Mustangboards.com and BMC.com, i have never seen anyone reccommend anything but a good installer and some good lube unless you have a power adder.

As for the JMOD. Why is everyone claiming this is needed for 4:10's???? The JMOD aka "Jerry Mod" is a modification from the engineer of the auto tranny to RESTORE it back to how it was ORIGIONALLY designed. It has NOTHING to do with 4:10's. You can do the Jmod with or without the gearing. basically it is a home made shift kit. \

When the engineer (jerry) of the auto tranny made the damn thing the ford guys drove a car with the transmission and felt it was just a little too aggressive, they felt most owners of AUTO's want something kinder and gentler so they reduced the size of several holes in the plate to make it shift a bit more gentle. it was all origionally designed to work with the stock 3:27 gears.

It has NOTHING to do with 4:10's and should be considered an entirely independant mod.
and seeing as how it runs you about 5 bucks, it is a pretty good mod to do if you have the know-how. I never had it done, just cause ive seen people on other boards fuck up thier whole transmission, so if you do it and dont know much about it, dont do it yourself. find somone who really knows thier shit. if done properly i hear it is a real kick in the pants!

As far as shift kits, once again they are NOT something designed to get "The most out of 4:10's" but to get the most out of the transmission. once again, should be considered seperate mods, rather than considering equal to an intercooler for an s/c

4:10's + good lube without an adder, you will NOT blow up your rear end. TRUST ME. you will have a better chance of screwing something up with a shift kit or jmod.

Adding the other mods is certainly going to be a good fun idea, but it is in no way a requirement for 4:10's

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

Hey, cheers for the clarification and your time. I really appreciate it. I understand people saying that all these other mods are great, I don't refute that at all ... but when I was merely asking about the gears and trying to make sure that doing only gears was OK - it was disheartening to hear people say "no, you've gotta do X, Y, and Z too", adding another significant dollar amount to the total - which I can't afford.

About the kits out there - I will definitely be getting the "higher mileage" kit which includes all the bearings and seals. I think I need a new axle or carrier bearing anyway (faint humming from the rear)- at least I will need one in the next year or so from the sounds of it. And there is an Ebay store who sells the Motive sets (4.10 gears, all seals and bearings including axle) for just short of $220 shipped. And Motive is made by FRPP, so the name is trustworthy. Seems like a pretty good deal to me. :thumb:
By the way .... still waiting for an answer on what exactly "good" lube is...? Are we talking "good" ATF, "good" gear lube, or both? I just changed the gear lube this summer - went with a synthetic of some sort ... name brand, but I can't remember the name. Castrol I think. I did the tranny fluid at the same time, but I never saw anything out there besides regular ATF. Are there different types?

Jack the Ripper

Reaction score
its a couple bucks more but www.americanmuscle.com sells the 4:10 gas plus install for 234.98 shipped.

thats where i got mine, if you trust the ebay storethen hell, why not.

good luck man! yer gonna love em!

voidfinger

Reaction score
hey man whats the name of that ebay store, i like the idea of that. Anyway i always heard good things about redline or royal purple.

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

The store is called "brenspeed" ... he sells mostly Motive stuff. Good deals though.

Jack, I didn't see what you were talking about on that site. ONly thing I saw for 235 was the FRPP gears alone, no bearing kit or anything else.

voidfinger

Reaction score
Brenspeed. thats a really good seller from what i remember man. Go for it, that is who i'm aiming for now lol. I need another step up.

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

Too bad labour isn't included too, eh? lol Now THAT would be a deal! :banana:

voidfinger

Reaction score
well, i've got a guy that will do it for close to 100 bucks but i don't know how well he can install them.......i don't know since i had to take the damn thing back to ford 5 times with in 30k b/c they kept installing them wrong and f'n up gears. So i guess it will be a hit or miss. Good luck man

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
ah
sorry to but in but i think the gear combo our talking about was a
special that they ran for a while.....
on second thought, for 4:10's its: http://www.americanmuscle.com/speedcal-410-gear-oil-kit.html
and lastly, for 3:73's its :http://www.americanmuscle.com/speedcal-373-gear-oil-kit.html
and my .02 cents here, ive heard nothing but bad things about motives,not to offend anyone who has them and likes them....
but all my friends have the FRPP gears and love them...go to mustangupgrades.net,.
they have some good reviews.
let us know how you like them

OP
OP
W

Wes8398

I have read in a number of places that Motives and FRPP's are the exact same gears. Made in the same place, with the same materials, and so on. I'm not entirely sure about the facts past that though.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
like i said,
on that mustangupgrades.net people are always bashing the motive gears,
if its true or not, i have no idea.
my few freinds all run the FRPP's

Jack the Ripper

Reaction score
Wes8398 said:
The store is called "brenspeed" ... he sells mostly Motive stuff. Good deals though.

Jack, I didn't see what you were talking about on that site. ONly thing I saw for 235 was the FRPP gears alone, no bearing kit or anything else.

Yah its not a package.
Motive 4:10 Performance Plus Gears = 159.99 + 74.99 for the install kid = 234.98, + free shipping.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Speedcal - http://www.dallasmustang.com/page/products.php?product=9910

And as far as the rearend. I did my diff at the same time b/c my car has 150k and i didn't want to have any problems later down the road. I beat the shit out of my car and enjoy the 2 wheel burnouts, thats why I swapped in an all new diff. You dont have to do it but the increase in traction helps, for example, with the 4.10's with the torsen t2 diff, i was able to drive around town with the roads being snow covered. My cobra with the stock diff can't make it out of the driveway in the snow. Just remember every mod will has an effect on the rest of the system its part of and sometimes you will or should do the complimentary mods so you keep yourself out of possible trouble later down the line, kinda like insurance.

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
ive just heard - comments about them....
no personal exp. but ill get FRPP when the time comes around.
the liks for mustangtuning's sale is a few lines up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online