IF YOU KNOW ABOUT CLUTCHES>>>GET IN HERE ASAP!

S

scarface

400 miles ago I had a new centerforce DF clutch, new TO bearing, new pivot ball, new clutch fork,and a new pilot bearing installed in my cobra. Well from the second I picked it up I noticed the clutch engaged a hair(literally) off the floor, and I couldnt shift very fast at all.

I just thought it needed to be broken in.

Well earlier today I noticed a ticking sound coming from the pedal area, so my first thought was TO bearing. well before I could get home, I could hardly get it in any gear, and when I would put it in neutral and go to first or reverse it would jump like I wasnt pushing in the clutch all the way.

I get it home and get it in the air, remove the cable access cover on the tranny....Geuss what falls into my hand A BUNCH IF BALL BEARINGS!!! I could also see what I believed to be about half of the TO bearing still on the input shaft.

****Heres the question of the thread****

I noticed the clutch cable had almost enough slack in it to remove it off the clutch fork, shouldnt that had been tight?

What could cause this bearing to get eaten up so quickly ???

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
i had the same clutch installed and you have to baby it for 500 miles i believe they told me because it needs to seat correctly....was there any hard playing or any playing in general??

OP
OP
S

scarface

no, I was good. I had the same clutch in my 97 and it was way different than this. I had several people drive it and they agreed something wasnt right with it from the start.

pics
clutch002.jpg

clutch001.jpg

G

GREG@SN95

I know about clutches...

theres all kinds of clutches...

You need clutches

97blackgt

Reaction score
arnt centerforce TOB's known for having problems?

OP
OP
S

scarface

yeah, but I dont know if it is a centerforce TOB or not...the guy I bought it from paid the shop, so I dont have any receipts.

97blackgt

Reaction score
well if u found bearings than it has to be the TOB....the pilot bearing doesnt really do anything

i cant think of how slack in the cable could cause any kind of failure though

OP
OP
S

scarface

all stock other than the clutch....Im thinking too much slack in the cable allowed the TO bearing to ride the pressure plate fingers causeing it to not disengage all the way, wearing it out fast.

There is no way the clutch should have been where it was in the way of adjustments.

TRUUBLE

-Never Forget-
Reaction score
scarface said:
all stock other than the clutch....Im thinking too much slack in the cable allowed the TO bearing to ride the pressure plate fingers causeing it to not disengage all the way, wearing it out fast.

There is no way the clutch should have been where it was in the way of adjustments.

I agree. Does the clutch cable adjust the way the 95s did? The old foot pull trick?

You might give that a shot to see if it takes up the slack. But, it sounds like you're gonna be replacing the tob no matter what.

OP
OP
S

scarface

TRUUBLE said:
scarface said:

I agree. Does the clutch cable adjust the way the 95s did? The old foot pull trick?

You might give that a shot to see if it takes up the slack. But, it sounds like you're gonna be replacing the tob no matter what.
I tried that pull up trick from the start...actually when I picked up the car from the shop.

OP
OP
S

scarface

looks like I will be getting a firewall adjuster, quadrant, lcd slack adjuster, and a new TO bearing......at least I dont have long tubes this times around :)

97blackgt

Reaction score
does the old foot trick usually not work or something...is there any other way to manually adjust the clutch?

i know when i installed my new clutch a few days ago it didnt feel like lifting up on the petal did anything?

OP
OP
S

scarface

firewall adjuster and quadrant are the only other ways of adjustments

97blackgt

Reaction score
but usually the foot trick is enough to prevent your problem scarface?

im just wondering because i dont wanna tear up my new clutch

OP
OP
S

scarface

the foot trick you refer to is actually the factory way of adjusting....I knew this before, just didnt have time to get to it, but with any aftermarket clutch you should get a firewall adjuster and quadrant. I had this same clutch in my gt, and I had to get the adjusters to make it right. I just didnt expect it to eat the TO bearing in 400 miles :( I didnt even get through the first tank of gas...lol

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
wow you get over 400 miles to a tank :hitit: im lucky if i get to 200 miles lol

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Nto to hijack, but does this "pull up on the clutch padel" work on 97 gt's??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online