IF you lift your hood after a nice long ride what do you smell?

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
I know my car has had cooling problems before and im going to change the thermostat after it cools off. When i open the hood after a nice long ride i smell a faint smell of hot coolant. Also, while driving the temp hand going over to NORMAL "A" and it goes down once i turn on the heat to full blast. Last time this happen was driving along and i didnt catch the temp past the A and the car almost overheated while driving (the temp hand was past the red line.. it was smoking so i guess it did overheat) . The coolant in the overflow tank was bubbling and was near empty. I think my thermostat is wearing out so im going to change that today and hopefully it stays at the NORMAL while driving w/o the heat/ac on.

Does this sound like a bad thermostat?

94twinscrew

Reaction score
All I smell is belt dust.lol

It sound to me like your radiator is on its last leg.....is it stock? If it is,just replace is with a new OE stocker,plus a new 180 T-stat,and life will be good O0

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
you need to do a flush and refill...you may also have a leak.

my car would stay in the same range before i put on my aluminum crossover NPI intake...i should hae went PI my first time around though :nonono:

97blackgt

Reaction score
i would flush the radiator, flush the engine, buy a new 180* thermostat, and refill with antifreeze AND water (water dissipitates heat better than antifreeze)

that should solve your problem

OP
OP
T

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
I go the new thermostat, but they always give me a 195 b/c the computer says that for a 97 mustang. It still does the same thing, but this time i drove it around harder and once it gets to the NORMAL it settles back down to the M.

One funny thing. I let the car warm up from a COLD START. In about 5 minutes it got to NORMAL I than turned on the Heater to Full blast on MAX A/c. The temp moved quickly back down to NORMAL

WTF LOL.

The radiator sounds like a good plan. Thanks

97blackgt

Reaction score
take that therostat back and tell them u want a 180* instead

def be worth the effort

also dont forget to bleed the system otherwise u could get air pockets which will also over heat the engine

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
they give you a 195 cause thats what they come with stock...you can order one offline if need be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online