Ignition cylinder install issue?

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Last year, I broke the key off in the ignition. Yes, I said last year. Today, I pulled the old one out and put the new one in but somehow goofed. Now I can't put the cylinder back into the...carrier? It appears to me I added an unecessary step. Here's what I did, tell me where I went wrong:

1) disconnected battery

2) turned key to "on/run" position

3) pushed in pin

4) removed old cylinder and column upper plastic

5) replaced plastic

6) tried to install new cylinder but pin wasn't pushed in..

7) removed cylinder from carrier, pushed in pin, slid into column and pushed pin in.

8) tried to insert cylinder into carrier but it doesn't seem to wanna jive..

9) @$%£ this sh*t, I'm going inside to watch Game of Thrones!

Seems like I wasn't supposed to remove the cylinder from the carrier?? Didn't look like it would slide into the column without the pin pushed in? Where'd I go wrong?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it probably has to do with the way your cylinder is turned. I say this with caution because mine did the same thing and I went to turn the key in the ignition and if you turn it one way it should slide back in, turn it the other way and they pin will slide out and then you will be holding 4-5 small parts in your hand instead of one solid cylinder. So while turning it be careful to hold the back and be sure that it doesn't come apart you should need to click it forward into the run position, not back..,

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
holding pieces are ya? It will take a locksmith 3secs to put back together. Mine didn't charge me after of course laughing at me a bit. its almost like its designed to self destruct when you turn it the wrong way huh?

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
F***!! It's FUBAR at this point :rofl: I apparently turned it too far (in my hand) and now can never remove it without drilling it out.

ordered another one XD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online