Ignition starter switch wiring (bad hotwire)

Gannon

Reaction score
My car was broken down on the side of the road, because my belt tensioner broke. Well it was there someone tried hot-wiring the car, without knowing about the PATS system. So they cut every wire very poorly. Which makes it impossible to know which is which. I can't find any wiring diagrams. The only on I stumbled across was a 1995 GT. I had a guy come try to fix it but the engine won't crank. And I believe my ECM was fried, which I replaced. Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• IMG_20200529_142740368.jpg
    IMG_20200529_142740368.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 17

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
while the wires are cut short I am not sure why you can't see the red/green and connect it to the other red/green wire? But if you changed the ecu I thought that held the pats info on it? Someone else will need to confirm or deny that.

OP
OP
Gannon

Gannon

Reaction score
Every wire was cut. So I'm not sure about the same multiple yellow wires, and black and green wires. I was able to connect the fairly easy ones. That picture was after the bad wiring job. No wire is connected right now.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Every wire was cut. So I'm not sure about the same multiple yellow wires, and black and green wires. I was able to connect the fairly easy ones. That picture was after the bad wiring job. No wire is connected right now.
If there are multiple wires of the same color they all go to the same source. So you can't connect one yellow wire to the wrong yellow wire, it would not matter as long as you connect to a yellow wire.

BigBore96

Reaction score
I've got a few Mustangs of various years and models. If I've got one of the same year I'll snap photos tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Gannon

Gannon

Reaction score
I can
while the wires are cut short I am not sure why you can't see the red/green and connect it to the other red/green wire? But if you changed the ecu I thought that held the pats info on it? Someone else will need to confirm or deny that.[/QUOTE I
I can post more pictures once I'm home from work, to get
What year is your car?

Adfalenski

Reaction score
My recommendation is to go onto ebay and search for your cars’ year wiring diagrams. I got the Ford Mustang wiring diagrams for $20.00 and it has been extremely useful.

OP
OP
Gannon

Gannon

Reaction score
Here is what it currently looks like

Attachments

• IMG_20200612_142102426.jpg
    IMG_20200612_142102426.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 12

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well you have a few choices. One you can pull the entire dash and replace the ignition harness with a new one. The second option you can get a replacement harness and then cut/splice it in or like I said reconnect the wires as best you can. More than likely you have blown a fuse or two so check ALL the fuses and I mean both under the dash and under the hood before you start cranking on it.

BigBore96

Reaction score
Got busy yesterday and didnt get a chance to snap any photos. Sorry about that.

Question though. You replaced said you replaced the ecu already, when you had reconnected the wires what was the theft light doing? When reconnected properly the car will likely only crank if and not start due to Pat's.

I know that doesnt help get the car to crank but just be aware if you make any progress and it does crank and then wont start.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Got busy yesterday and didnt get a chance to snap any photos. Sorry about that.

Question though. You replaced said you replaced the ecu already, when you had reconnected the wires what was the theft light doing? When reconnected properly the car will likely only crank if and not start due to Pat's.

I know that doesnt help get the car to crank but just be aware if you make any progress and it does crank and then wont start.

As I said above I thought pats was actually a part of the ECU and that swapping it would mean he would need to program it. Is that right?

BigBore96

Reaction score
As I said above I thought pats was actually a part of the ECU and that swapping it would mean he would need to program it. Is that right?
I believe so. It would still crank though. He will know if he has a PATS problem when that theft light blinks like crazy.

Programming it is easy on the earlier sn95s but I dont recall if 99+ is the same method.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I believe so. It would still crank though. He will know if he has a PATS problem when that theft light blinks like crazy.

Programming it is easy on the earlier sn95s but I dont recall if 99+ is the same method.

its easy if you have the original key I thought and with out it I thought you needed a computer/tuner?

BigBore96

Reaction score
its easy if you have the original key I thought and with out it I thought you needed a computer/tuner?
I know that works for 98 and down but for some reason I vaguely remember that with a 99+ the process was different requiring 2 keys or straight to a dealer/locksmith with the correct equipment to do it.

98 and down is a 45 minute cycle of key toggling the key on for 15 min at a time.

OP
OP
Gannon

Gannon

Reaction score
I brought a ECU with a preprogrammed key. I'm still switching around wires trying to get it to crank. So for I only got the radiator fan to turn on lol.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok good. with all the bare wires you are bound to have a blown fuse. Don't bother with the manual just start pulling/inspecting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online