Ignition switch drain?

i94ponycar

Reaction score
Hey all. I came out this morning to start my 94 gt vert and click click click click click with a lot of speaker popping. The battery is new, but I know my ignition switch is bad and always thinks the key is in. Could this faulty switch have drained my battery overnight??

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Sure.
you could also have a aux light on somewhere too. ex: sun visors, hood/trunk lights, glove box.
A bad amp could also be the prob. as well.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It may have just been a one time fluke, like he mentioned ^ the trunk light may have been on, interior lights left on, etc. Did you get the car running with a boost? I'd only worry if it happens again. At that point, you may have to start pulling fuses and use a voltmeter to narrow down the source of the drain.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
unless you left it up in the accessory position when you got out its not the switch draining your battery. A lot of people have been having issues with the mach460 equipment killing batteries if you still have any of it in.

OP
OP
I

i94ponycar

Reaction score
All 460 stuff is still there. There's also a wierd thump coming from the car when I unlock it or pop the trunk with the key less entry

OP
OP
I

i94ponycar

Reaction score
The thump is coming from behind the rear seats (I believe thats where the 460amp is, it would have to be) it sounds like and when I was trying to turn it over the speakers were popping bigtime ...oh and the batt is new

Walking Tall

Reaction score
Mine thinks the key is in most of the time too. I even took out the key one time and started it. I just wiggle the switch until the chime goes off.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can fix the loose ignition for less then $30 and 30 mins. Super easy to swap out.

The thump noise is probably coming from the subwoofer, which means you amp is staying on more the likely. If it keeps dying try pulling the premium sound fuse.

Walking Tall

Reaction score
you can fix the loose ignition for less then $30 and 30 mins. Super easy to swap out.

The thump noise is probably coming from the subwoofer, which means you amp is staying on more the likely. If it keeps dying try pulling the premium sound fuse.

Thanks, I'll have to add that to the 'Crap I have to fix before I can get before any more cool stuff" list.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll have to add that to the 'Crap I have to fix before I can get before any more cool stuff" list.
autozone carries the ignitions in stock. Take it to a locksmith and he can key it to your key so you do not need 2 keys to open/start the car.

OP
OP
I

i94ponycar

Reaction score
Okay the new cylinder comes with the pin in the out position. It won't depress for install unless you turn it, but the box says not to turn clockwise until installed ...its one or the other, I dont get it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
read that 4 times and I am not really sure what you are talking about. I think it might be a question but idunno........... in the out position? Depress huh?

OP
OP
I

i94ponycar

Reaction score
My fault lol. The pin on the new cyl comes in the installed position (pin out). You can't instal it unless the pin is retracted, but it won't retrack by turning counterclockwise and it says NOT to turn clockwise until it is installed.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Pretty sure that pin is what holds it all together and turning it which ever way it warns, when it reaches its max point the pin falls out and then it damn near explodes in your hand(as me how I know). The pin is supposed to be in all the way if its hanging out. Are you or did you get it re-keyed?

OP
OP
I

i94ponycar

Reaction score
The pin im referring to is what clicks into the housing when the cylinder is pushed in. But it wont retract into the position that allows instal unless it's turned the way it says not to. Lost :banghead:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
A pic would probably help remind me as its been over a year since I swapped mine out. Again if your getting it re-keyed then it shouldn't matter as the locksmith can help.

OP
OP
I

i94ponycar

Reaction score
I wasnt going to get it rekeyed. Its the only pin on the outside of the cylinder. The one u push in to remove the old one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online