Ignition timing all over the place

Discussion in '94-95 5.0 - Specific' started by Spencerider, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Spencerider

Spencerider New Member

Hey y'all. I have a 1995 GT 5.0 that pings really bad. It has 170,000 miles and I bought it last week for a steal knowing that it had an issue with the PIP. I've done all of the basic SN95 stuff like cleaning the MAF, new fuel filter and all that. I also put in a new distributor and set the baseline ignition timing at 10 degrees btdc with the little plug pulled out. So, after putting the new distributor in and setting the baseline timing, I put the little plug back in. Upon starting I noticed that it would idle normally at about 800 rpm but would slowly drop down to about 500 and it idles a little bit rough. (Also idles the same way with the little plug pulled out) So I take it for a spin. If I go anywhere above half throttle, it starts to ping. I took it back to the house and looked at the timing again with the little plug in and I saw the timing not only jumping all over the place, but it seems to be at 25 to 30 degrees btdc while at idle, if I rev it up it jumps around even more and goes more advanced. If I pull the plug back out, it goes back to 10 degrees and doesn't ping at any throttle amount whether it's parked or driving. To fix this, I went to O'reilly's and tried a new ignition module with no luck. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing my ignition timing to go crazy? Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

2. Frank.JD.Perez

Frank.JD.Perez Well-Known Member

jeez that sounds like a nightmare... ttocs, [MENTION=20210]lwarrior1016[/MENTION] any idea?

3. lwarrior1016

lwarrior1016 Moderator Staff SN95 Supporter

This one will take more expertise than mine, I haven't messed with a distributor in a few years. How does the spout connect to the distributor? Have youe tried to warranty the distributor and put a different one in there?

4. Spencerider

Spencerider New Member

I don't know how the spout connector is connected to the distributor if it is at all. All I know about it is that it allows power to go to something that is connected to the wiring harness up or down stream from the spout connector. And I didn't try to warranty the distributor and get a different one. If I knew what was in charge of increasing the ignition advance as the engine rpm increases, I could probably figure it out.