Ignition trouble shooting??

Dsg94sn95

Reaction score
Okay so I recently just took my dash out to swap to a different color and got the new one in and went to turn the key on and nothing happened, I know it's not the battery so I replaced the lock cylinder because it was doing that thing where the outside just free spins. So I got the new one in and it feels a little better but still nothing when you turn the key..is there something I could've left unplugged that would cause this?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
did you swap harnesses in the dash as well or is the harness that was in the car, still in the car? Start simple, check the inertia switch in the trunk and check all your fuses both under the dash and the hood.

OP
OP
Dsg94sn95

Dsg94sn95

Reaction score
OK I'll check my fuses, but it's the same harness and I'm pretty sure everything's correct. So hopefully it is a fuse. Thanks for the input

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
me too but with electrical we need to start simple. Did you replace the grounds from the center console to the dash?

OP
OP
Dsg94sn95

Dsg94sn95

Reaction score
I didn't mess with any ground wires. There were about 8-10 connectors that I unplugged and pulled the whole dash assembly then took it apart out of the car and put the new cover on

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I thought there was at least one, if not two yellow ground wires on the tranny hump with ring terminals that went to the dash to ensure a good ground but its been a while.

OP
OP
Dsg94sn95

Dsg94sn95

Reaction score
It feels like the problem is the cylinder because it doesn't have like feeling of it did when it worked there's like no resistance behind it if that makes sense

JKady

Reaction score
Easiest test to see if it's something in the lock cylinder/column would be to pull the ignition switch down off the column and see if you can start the car that way. If there's no resistance it's possible the ignition actuator (what the ignition lock cylinder moves to push on the ignition switch) broke or had the pin fall out and is no longer moving the switch. The switch itself is a white box with two I want to say T30 torx bolts in it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would also double check that all the harnesses got plugged in at the kick panels. it would be easy to miss one or just not push it in all the way.

OP
OP
Dsg94sn95

Dsg94sn95

Reaction score
Ok yea I checked all the harnesses in the kick panel and they're good but for that switch on top of the column I did have off. Is there a certain way to put it back on?

OP
OP
Dsg94sn95

Dsg94sn95

Reaction score
No, the lock cylinder has power because it dings with key in and door open but even when it's in the on position the cluster warnings don't show, can't hear the fuel pump or anything

OP
OP
Dsg94sn95

Dsg94sn95

Reaction score
It's that little silver pin on top of the ignition switch. Can cause alot of problems apparently lol I just got it seated back in the hole with the yellow plastic pieces inside the column and everything was back to normal. Just pay attention when you mount those things, luckily I didn't break mine!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.