I'll be making a 500+ mile trip.. How to prepare!

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
So in about 2 weeks I'll be moving up to Edinboro - about 15 minutes south of erie.

What should I do to prepare for the road trip.

Oil change
Tire pressure
Fluid checks
Wash/wax (to look good for everyone else on the road)

What else?

The longest trip I've ever made in this car was probably about 80 miles tops!

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
well along with that, i would bring an extra gallon of antifreeze, maybe some fix a flat. make sure plugs and wires are in good condition, rotate tires(if needed)

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Don't forget some sandwichs, soda, Cd's, coffee, chewing gum (in case the coffee doesn't keep you awake) and to get plenty of rest the night before. I drive 350 miles at least once or twice a month to go home, and these are the things that I do that get me through the haul.

billmacomber1987

Reaction score
Im going to read this post very well im driving 1,500 mls in a month. Im moving to Orlando FL from NJ. It shouldn’t be all that bad of a drive my old man and mom will be driving the uhal filled with my crap and street bikes and it will tow my car and im driving with a friend who we will switch off every few hours. if any one is in orlando let me know maby you can show me around

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Clean you battery terminals.

have a good music selection. :)

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
billmacomber1987 said:
Im going to read this post very well im driving 1,500 mls in a month. Im moving to Orlando FL from NJ. It shouldn’t be all that bad of a drive my old man and mom will be driving the uhal filled with my crap and street bikes and it will tow my car and im driving with a friend who we will switch off every few hours. if any one is in orlando let me know maby you can show me around

What are you moving to Orlando for? Im moving there in August to go to college. UCF FTW!

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
id say go check your oil, check your fluids, spark plugs, wires, maybe add a supercharger so you can get there faster, or just go get a tune up.. that fix a flat stuff or your spare tire, some snacks, drinks, music and id say your good to go..

make sure to bring some quick detailer to so when you hit a puddle, you can just pull over and keep that stang lookin pretty.

oh and if you want, you can be like my friend and tape down the odometer reset button so you dont add any mileage to your car.. :nonono: :rollinglaugh:

andddd i dont think ive ever edited a post this much, this is probably my 8th time to edit it.....

edit :: 9 :-\

fawcett

Reaction score
well when i was in college and when i was making my 606mi trip from pa to ma or ma to pa i would smoke a j of killer bud every 100mi. i had to quit, its been a while since i blazed (couple of months). i know some people may not like this idea but i was a smoker and it got me through the drive. now that im clean i'd still do what i always had done (without the weed, it slowed me down anyways). i went out and got really f-ed up drinking until the early morning slept for a few hours packed at the last moment, left way later than i had planned on leaving drive until my car was about out of gas take a piss get some food/drinks then get the rest of the trip over with.

since my car had either a 5-speed and 3:08 gears (freshman/sophomore year) or 3:73's and the d&d t56 (junior/senior year) i would cruise at atleast 100mph at under 2500rpms with the a/c on high and get great gas mileage on my still untuned FRPP engine. I would love to see long streatches of highway because then if the cops werent there i could really throw the hammer down and even with my car fully loaded i would hit speeds of 140+. i dont know if your brakes are any good, i had a lot of trust in my brembos they are truely awesome. the best mods to my car so far are the brakes and trany. and i would only go nuts when i wasnt f-ed up- i know this sounds stupid but thats the way i was and thats how i did things.

i usually made my trip in under 8hrs which is really good. i got pulled over once doing 120 by a environmental state cop in conn. when he asked me where i was comming from and what i was doing my words were "sir, i assure you i have not been driving like this the whole way, the road just opened up and i got on it and its been such a long trip"
he let me go with a verbal warning, i couldnt believe it myself.

when ever i get pulled over i tell the truth, no matter how much i have broken the rules. the cops give me more respect than if i just tried to play dumb/stupid/naieve.
my advice is to have some fun on your ride it will make it go faster/smoother, play the traffic right by anticipating where you will hit it (7:30-9:00am or 3:30-6:00pm) try to take breaks when you hit traffic you wont make much progress in it anyways and if you get caught speeding take a stab at being honest, look the cop in the eye be polite and let him know that you know why hes got you pulled over, leave the bs out of it.
good luck man
-fawcett

Monsterbishi

Reaction score
It's only 500 miles, just do weekly checks, fluids, belts, tyres, and off you go.

Biggest thing is to not rush the trip, if anything is going to fault/fail, it'll be the driver from fatigue - plan some stops, take it easy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online