Im back with my 94 GT cobra swap track car build

aussiebj

Reaction score
Well i just bought my 94 mustang GT track car shell back with the intentions of building her back into a 331 stroker HPDE track car and then relising she has nothing in her not even a wiring harness I came across a 98 Cobra that a friend of mine had for one week and then it got rear ended while parked. So i purchased it from him as it has all the cobra bits i wanted anyway. Now the GT will get a cobra transplant...

I just bought a MaxJax 2 post lift for my garage and it should be here today, when i install it the swap will begin..Any advise on this swap would be helpful looks pretty straight forward just take everything out of th Cobra i want and install it in the 94, please let me know if there is anything special i need to know..

pics coming..

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
K member and trans cross member will need to be changed over.
cobra guage cluster and interior harness too unless you feel like re-pinning stuff.

RichV

Reaction score
Sweet on the lift! I want!!!

So are the plans to go all out on the track car? Or just put it together on a budget?

Step 1: Fire up the credit card and start ordering from MM, Griggs, Roush. :D

aussiebj

Reaction score
Forgot to mention the cobra has all UPR stuff i will be selling off, tubular k member and a arms, , coil overs, caster/camber plates , rear adjustable uppers with very little time on them..going with all MM stuff..
also will be selling off a mint camel leather interior, doors one fender R/H, one mint black tail light r/h, the car is black , Cobra rear.. ETC anything i dont need to fund the race car...ill put the parts up in the for sale section when i take pics..

Oh the lift is on my trailer ill get pics of that also.....

aussiebj

Reaction score
Ok I removed everything from my crashed 98 cobra and all im left with is the drivetrain , that was running before I pulled out the ignition key tumbler to remove the upper streering colum plastic and now the car wont start.. Can I remove the PATS system and hope this motor will run in my race car.. the light on the dash blinks fast then after about 2 miniutes It blinks once and then 6 times .. im thinking this is a code 16.. what does this mean.. I have tried to remove the battery and reset the computer .. I have done the turn key to run for 15 miniutes then off .. 3 times with no avail as of now im at a loss...
What can I do to get this frigging thing started.. I jumped the starter and atleast she can crank tat way

Any help would be greatly appreciated..
Barry

aussiebj

Reaction score
Ok I went out and bought a 97 cobra shell that im going to swap the drive train over into that way it is all still a cobra..
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make my cobra motor live on the track while I have it out .. what upgrades should I do ..
Suspension will be the usual MM stuff up front and I really want to put an IRS in the rear....if not ill go for a Levy racing 3 link setup out back..

wmfateam

Reaction score
Cooling, oil system and good tune. My car was starting to have a lean misfire at high rpms. Added more fuel and has gone away. I would run some sort of hood ventilation, especially if you are in or race in warm weather. A remote mount oil cooler would be a good idea as well.

aussiebj

Reaction score
Thanks for the info I am thinking the Ford racing remote oil filter relocation kit and a big radiator to start with..

RichV

Reaction score
The Canton road race pans with the trap doors are worth every penny.

HuskerGT

Reaction score
I may be interested in your coilovers (front & rear?) depending on spring rate & shipped cost.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Big, fully boxed radiator. Any and all cooling mods you can do. Oil/power steering/transmission cooler(s). Heat extraction vent(s) in the hood. Fresh fluids/gaskets throughout. New/fresh timing components. And a dyno tune.

aussiebj

Reaction score
The drive train is finally out of the 98 cobra and ready to go into a clean 97 cobra shell I just picked up...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pallgor

Members online