Im going to the track friday

ryclef331

Reaction score
wait...you have a CEL that says your converter/ clutch is slipping....among others and you want to dog it on the track? i would get that light to go out first, THEN worry about getting the ET down...BUT if you want...

Bag of Ice on the upper intake between rounds....it has been DYNO PROVEN to add up to 10hp! Just make sure you put a towel around it or else you'll get the boot for watering down the track.

MAKE SURE your tire pressures are where they should be in the back. If you're running street tires, don't air them down. Its pointless....HOWEVER, I'd put about 10 extra PSI in the fronts. This minimizes the front contact patch of the tire. That means LESS rolling resistance! I STILL do this...even with my skinnies. If your front tires are kind of shitty about worn, I wouldn't do it, but if they have relatively alot of life left in'em...go for it.

If you're feeling froggy, you can unhook the front sway bar but if you're not running a sticky tire, you're front PROBABLY won't rise that much anyway.

Take all excess CRAP out of the car. That gym bag from 3 weeks ago. Your bowling shoes. Sub box. Shit like that.

(This one especially irritates me) ROLL YOUR FUCKING WINDOWS UP!!! (not saying you do it but I HATE when people do) Think about how much wind hits you in the face when you're running 70mph down the hwy windows down....NOW imagine 100mph. The amount of turbulence the car has to overcome is already HUGE...don't add to it b/c you think you look cool or its hot outside....its 14 seconds or less of heat. deal with it. Its also dangerous is you crash.

BURNOUT....if you're on street tires, don't do a john force burnie. It overinflates the rear tires from the the heat expansion of the air inside...making you lose contact patch. The compound of a plain jane street tires isn't meant to work well OVERLY hot. Just do a quick first gear burnout. I do it till I see smoke just start in the mirror (about 2-3seconds MAX) and roll it out. You just want to get all the sand, rocks, and shit off the tires. This also gets a FRESH patch of rubber all the way around!

THE LAUNCH! Most tracks are COATED for the first 1/8th mile with rubber. When you run a street radial tire and try to launch hard, what happens is, they treads "dig in" to the rubber and it gets under the tire. It "balls" up and you spin (as well as fuck up the track for the others....i hate you when you do that). Ever get glue (like rubber cement) on your hands and rubbed them together to get off? Thats what you tires do on the track...

OP
OP
D

Demolisher

Reaction score
What about bumping up the timing? what do i bump it up 2 my car is farily stock except for K&N,Xpipe,Pulleys ? :help2:

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
THE LAUNCH! Most tracks are COATED for the first 1/8th mile with rubber. When you run a street radial tire and try to launch hard, what happens is, they treads "dig in" to the rubber and it gets under the tire. It "balls" up and you spin (as well as f**k up the track for the others....i hate you when you do that). Ever get glue (like rubber cement) on your hands and rubbed them together to get off? Thats what you tires do on the track...

what kind of a launch would you recommend for street tires? somewhere in the middle at about 3k?

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
phil_the_thrill said:
ryclef331 said:
THE LAUNCH! Most tracks are COATED for the first 1/8th mile with rubber. When you run a street radial tire and try to launch hard, what happens is, they treads "dig in" to the rubber and it gets under the tire. It "balls" up and you spin (as well as f**k up the track for the others....i hate you when you do that). Ever get glue (like rubber cement) on your hands and rubbed them together to get off? Thats what you tires do on the track...

what kind of a launch would you recommend for street tires? somewhere in the middle at about 3k?
Depends on how much power your making my Stang made 300HP 390 TQ and i had 315 BFG DR's and when id launch at 3K id break em loose, and thats after a good 15 sec or so burnout.

If your on street tires i would say around 2 or so. (giving that your stock) When i had my poop tires on running at the track i wouldnt even launch id wait till the last yellow light and just go.

I wouldnt bump the timing unless you have it dyno tuned. Ice on the intake mani works wonders. but also consider forzen peas. (it wont leave watter on the track or your engine) Whenever your not running leave your heater on full blast. Hell even turn it to A/C and make it hot.

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
yeah i aint makin shit for power and im on 245 street tires so will prolly go with no launch.

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
well heres what i would do in your case.

Go around the waterbox. and then rev up the motor drop the clutch to spin the tires a little bit (no need for a burnout and smoke) its just to clean off your tires.

Then when the green light goes just go. Chances are its a prepped track so you should do okay

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
yeah i was actually figuring i would be able to launch from a higher rpm on the track than on the street cause i thought i would hook better but i guess not. ill just wait for the last yellow and take off.

OP
OP
D

Demolisher

Reaction score
HEY DONT HIJACK MY THRED LOL help me get better et's :drunk:

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
wasnt hijacking your thread. thought it was a general topic and you werent chiming in. my bad

Stopsign32v

Reaction score
Demolisher said:
What about bumping up the timing? what do i bump it up 2 my car is farily stock except for K&N,Xpipe,Pulleys ? :help2:

I wouldn't bother with it...It will help maybe but not enough to tell the difference. You could make up the difference with a better shift next round or not. Plus you could get too much timing and start to detonate. Plus I found it to be a PITA to change the timing on the SN95 5.0 (but I had the smog pump on). If you must change the timing mine would start to detonate around 13 degrees. I've heard others go as high as 14 and be fine, mine didn't like it.

What kinda tires are you going to be on?

ryclef331

Reaction score
DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT!!!! RUN YOUR A/C AT OR EVEN ON YOUR WAY TO THE TRACK!!! If you live in a humid area like I do, condensation will build up on the A/C lines...and drip onto the track and water on the track is NO GO!

Again, street tires usually hook WORSE on the track unless they have a shit load of VHT layed down...I suggest leaving the line like you would leave a stop light aggressively. Revving the clutch and DUMPING it around going to work. You have to finese it....

Stopsign32v

Reaction score
Its easy to leave on street tires.

Go around the water box
Line up with the track and stop
Rev up to about 4,500rpms and dump the clutch
Ride out the burnout and let off the throttle before getting to the lights
Move up to the lights and trip the deep stage light
Rev up to about 2,500rpms
Last yellow light, slip the clutch out while easing into the throttle

OP
OP
D

Demolisher

Reaction score
ok last month i went to the track and ran a 15.7 well yesteryday the best time i had was a 15.2 WOHHOOOO not bad for a stock auto convertable 5.0 on full interior :banana:

ryclef331

Reaction score
15.2 for that pig? Not bad at all man. Seriously. Good job!

OP
OP
D

Demolisher

Reaction score
man now i wanna be in the 14's any idea's would help lol

Stopsign32v

Reaction score
intake, full 2.5" exhaust, and 4.10 gears. It would feel like a completely different car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online