Im in need of help....

test-tube-baby

Reaction score
So I just did my head swap and got everything ready to go and it wont start.. Im not getting spark. I just got new plugs and wires. I also got a new distributer and coil last month. Im pretty sure im timing it wrong. Ive looked it up and Ive done it before and I have a good idea of it all but I cant figure out whats going wrong.. could I have messed shit up by cranking the engine counter clockwise? And could my balancer with my timing marks be off? I feel like once I feel air with my finger I have to crank it far to reach the zero mark. Im just kind of lost right now and really frustrated because im tired of walking to work and riding the yellow can to school. If anyone can Id like to verify my process by someone writing or giving me a link to the steps of how to set timing if the dis. Was taken out of the car and cranked. Thanks a lot to anyone who can help me out

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
test-tube-baby

test-tube-baby

Reaction score
Im pretty sure i'm not. My plus look very clean and are wet with gas. i'm assuming they wouldn't be so wet With spark

daltonduree

Reaction score
take the wire thats from your coil to your distributor pull it off the distributor and have someone turn the engine over while you hold it very very close to the intake manifold. if you see a spark then its timing. if not... something in addition

Win

Legend
Reaction score
One thing I have done was put a wooden dowel in the spark plug hole,#1 watch it until it was up to the top.... Check my rotor and cap to make sure it's pointing towards #1 .... Our cars are 10 deg btdc

Win

Legend
Reaction score
You could do what I have done.... Of course I am sure I am leaving a step or two out.... It's always easier for me to do then type it out

OP
OP
test-tube-baby

test-tube-baby

Reaction score
So I just have to put it at tdc on the compression stroke and intall it again with the rotor faving the number 1 wire and that should be good to start it right?

OP
OP
test-tube-baby

test-tube-baby

Reaction score
And why would it have mattered if I set it at tdc before pulling the heads? I had to crank the engine anyways to install the rockers...

OP
OP
test-tube-baby

test-tube-baby

Reaction score
But what if you had aftermarket rockers? You'd have to crank the engine.. What do they do? Just set the engine back to tdc and install the distributer right?

Win

Legend
Reaction score
I've just made sure it was TDC then installed everything back....snugged up the rockers meanwhile the cap and rotor are back on at #1 which would be top dead center then rotate to adjust each one.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Just to eliminate 1 other possibility, Did you remove the harmonic balancer and replace your timing chain?

95opal

Reaction score
First things first you have to verify if your getting spark or not as daltonduree suggested. If spark is good look at timing. Pull #1 plug ....youse a pencil and stick it down in the plug bore. now rotate the motor till the pencil comes up to the highest point,,, your now at tdc. drop the dizzy back in so the rotor is pointing at 10*btdc ...car should fire right up. If you've flooded it press the skinny pedal to the floor to clear the flood condition while cranking the motor. Dial in your preferred timing from there.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
And why would it have mattered if I set it at tdc before pulling the heads? I had to crank the engine anyways to install the rockers...

You don't HAVE to set to TDC before you remove the heads and intake.
It just makes it much easier when you put it back together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online