I'm starting to do automotive artwork again!

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
This is super neat, I've always been into art and drawing but I've never found a good way to get into automotive drawing, even from a solid reference. Any tips/ tricks? Hard to find info on it online, and I'd say I'm decent at drawing other things. What makes cars so different to draw?

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
This is super neat, I've always been into art and drawing but I've never found a good way to get into automotive drawing, even from a solid reference. Any tips/ tricks? Hard to find info on it online, and I'd say I'm decent at drawing other things. What makes cars so different to draw?
I would say the most basic tip would be to start with a heavy weight card stock or Bristol board, and some decent alcohol markers. Make a guide sheet by draw a short line with the flat of every marker and label them so you know what the ink looks like on the card stock and not the plastic cap, so you can pick the right colors. Then just practice and be patient, this current drawing isn't done... I need to add detail to the door, but sometimes that means walking away and coming back later. If this was a more full time job, I would spend much more time on each section, and go even more detailed than I do.

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
I would say the most basic tip would be to start with a heavy weight card stock or Bristol board, and some decent alcohol markers. Make a guide sheet by draw a short line with the flat of every marker and label them so you know what the ink looks like on the card stock and not the plastic cap, so you can pick the right colors. Then just practice and be patient, this current drawing isn't done... I need to add detail to the door, but sometimes that means walking away and coming back later. If this was a more full time job, I would spend much more time on each section, and go even more detailed than I do.
I've always had trouble capturing the shape and the body lines, due to the differences of capturing body lines vs general shape and detail as most drawings I typically do

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
I've always had trouble capturing the shape and the body lines, due to the differences of capturing body lines vs general shape and detail as most drawings I typically do
Yeah the harder lines on a vehicle are more unforgiving than more organic shapes, you can approach it a few different ways. You can print the source picture and divide it into a grid so you are drawing smaller sections at a time which helps, or you can look up some youtube videos or website on perspective drawing using two points and a horizon line. If you have any other questions just send me a message!

Edit: The perspective stuff takes some time to get down, but in the long run is easier and less time consuming.

Last edited:

badass98svt

Reaction score
These remind me of Michael Irvine's work. How do I get on the list??? I'd love one of these if my car. Always wanted something like this.

joe65

Reaction score
Great to see you back at it. Hope its ok for me to post this, but here's the one you did for me. Son loves it. Image my be a bit distorted because i took it of the framed photo on the wall.imageranger.jpeg

OP
OP
Venompower

Venompower

Reaction score
I'm far from perfect, but I appreciate the compliments... haven't had a lot of time recently to keep at it but hope to get back into it this summer.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I don't do art that is nearly as artistic as this but I find that I am my worst critic when I do it. The ranger pic reminds me of the 90 ranger I had when I was in high school. I still remember that the color was Light sandlewood = you never had to wash it as it always looked dusty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online