I'm thinking about buying a Skyline

Bauman_Octane

Reaction score
I don't know much about these cars, what's the appeal, they seem really expensive for an older car? Anything in particular or is it the rarity factor? Personally shifting with my left hand seems really hard when going fast...

Maybe switch jerk off hands or work for USPS...

haha. i know what you mean. you'll have to wait till you get to go for a rifde in hopped up jdm car. it's pretty insane and there so different from a v8. fun machines.

Witzy0070

Reaction score
haha. i know what you mean. you'll have to wait till you get to go for a rifde in hopped up jdm car. it's pretty insane and there so different from a v8. fun machines.

But I like torque =(

I like small fast cars, that's why I am building an SRT-4. I've been in some fun RHD cars, I like them. I just honestly didn't know what makes this particular one special.

Witzy0070

Reaction score
1) Previous unobtanium status
2) Vowed to own one someday ever since playing Gran Turismo in the 90's
3) I can afford it

I can appreciate number 2. I've let certain cars elude me, it never goes away.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
In my mind, owning a R32/R33 GTR would be as cool as owning a late model GT500 or Terminator Cobra. They made enough of them to not be super rare but they're exclusive enough to be special.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think R32/R33 are cool but if it was my money, I'd probably go for something closer along the lines of a swapped 240SX or even an imported Silvia or 180SX if you want deh JDM yo... especially if you're wanting a daily. If it's just a weekend toy, then by all means, GTR it up. I had a buddy that had a GTS for awhile, very sweet car because of how different it, but after riding it, with it being a RWD model, it's not much more than a RHD 240sx with MUCH harder to find parts. The interiors are very similar (just as shitty), outside is sexy, but everything else felt 240-familiar but different enough to be a pain.

But if you're super serious about it, there is a guy local to me who has started importing them in for pretty reasonable prices. He owns this R32 GTR, had a 4-door for a bit, along with a few others and recently got a R35.

My buddy's R32 that he used to have:
11796352_1662208947344694_7481433780723213396_n.jpg

That guy's GTR at the same show:
11796269_1662207830678139_7770219756721344515_n.jpg

hondarocks61

Reaction score
They are very cool looking cars, and they are different. I find that sort of thing attractive. You probably wouldn't need to modify the hell out of it to enjoy it... but you certainly could!

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score

Before I really started going to car shows and learning about the import world I wouldn't have even known what that car was, I have still never seen one in person and I'm 27. For that reason alone I want one, they aren't everywhere for sure. If I had the funds it would be tempting, I say go for it!

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
GT-R's are super sweet cars. And I totally get the unobtanium and therefore status they bring - plus it'd be a blast to drive. Personally, I don't know how hard or easy it would be to find parts for it. I suspect it would be a nightmare - not so much engine parts perhaps but like previously mentioned, the interior would be ridiculous.

For example, my dad has a 1987 Merkur XR4Ti. It's a Ford car (made in Germany), uses the 2.3L turbo motor. The SVO Mustang had that, so parts are reasonable. It can also use the T-5 tranny (though his is an auto) - again reasonable. Hell, even the driveline stuff like axles and rear diff and control arms (it's independent rear, not solid axle) can be found without much difficulty from a couple specialty shops, for pretty reasonable prices. That's all well and good. The problem is: this car was imported for only 3 years, and it varied slightly between years. His dash cracked. Good luck finding a replacement. All the leather on the seats is cracked. They can be re-covered, but if he has to replaced any of the seats, he's effed. If a door panel needs to be replaced? Not going to find one in the salvage yard, or probably even online. How about body panels? It's got skirts, and a funky rear decklid wing, a unique front fascia - I don't even know where he would begin to find replacements should he need it. Broken taillight? Headlight? Sorry dad. The point is: some stuff is easy(ish) to obtain, others are near impossible.

And the GT-R is even more rare than his Merkur.

So if you find one with a mint body and mint interior, you are all set. If you need to replace anything inside or on the body, the scavenger hunt begins. Not at all trying to deter you - I think owning a GT-R would be badass. It's an awesome idea, just make sure you understand the full implication of owning one - not saying you haven't thought about it - I'm sure you probably have. I just can't help but think of my dad and his Merkur - cool and very rare car to own, and near (if not actually) impossible to find half the shit he might need. If you lived in Japan, much more reasonable as the car was obtainable there (just like Merkur parts might be more obtainable in England). But you don't. But I wish you the best, I totally get wanting one of these cars (I would love one too).

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
GT-R's are super sweet cars. And I totally get the unobtanium and therefore status they bring - plus it'd be a blast to drive. Personally, I don't know how hard or easy it would be to find parts for it. I suspect it would be a nightmare - not so much engine parts perhaps but like previously mentioned, the interior would be ridiculous.

For example, my dad has a 1987 Merkur XR4Ti. It's a Ford car (made in Germany), uses the 2.3L turbo motor. The SVO Mustang had that, so parts are reasonable. It can also use the T-5 tranny (though his is an auto) - again reasonable. Hell, even the driveline stuff like axles and rear diff and control arms (it's independent rear, not solid axle) can be found without much difficulty from a couple specialty shops, for pretty reasonable prices. That's all well and good. The problem is: this car was imported for only 3 years, and it varied slightly between years. His dash cracked. Good luck finding a replacement. All the leather on the seats is cracked. They can be re-covered, but if he has to replaced any of the seats, he's effed. If a door panel needs to be replaced? Not going to find one in the salvage yard, or probably even online. How about body panels? It's got skirts, and a funky rear decklid wing, a unique front fascia - I don't even know where he would begin to find replacements should he need it. Broken taillight? Headlight? Sorry dad. The point is: some stuff is easy(ish) to obtain, others are near impossible.

And the GT-R is even more rare than his Merkur.

So if you find one with a mint body and mint interior, you are all set. If you need to replace anything inside or on the body, the scavenger hunt begins. Not at all trying to deter you - I think owning a GT-R would be badass. It's an awesome idea, just make sure you understand the full implication of owning one - not saying you haven't thought about it - I'm sure you probably have. I just can't help but think of my dad and his Merkur - cool and very rare car to own, and near (if not actually) impossible to find half the shit he might need. If you lived in Japan, much more reasonable as the car was obtainable there (just like Merkur parts might be more obtainable in England). But you don't. But I wish you the best, I totally get wanting one of these cars (I would love one too).

All very excellent points!!

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks for taking it that way, I'm really not trying to talk you out of getting in one. If you do, lol I totally want to drive it ;)

No worries, I appreciate the realism in your response and I've considered this from all angles. The only caveat to this: my wife told me I could buy whatever vehicle I could afford BUT I had to install her supercharger first.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No worries, I appreciate the realism in your response and I've considered this from all angles. The only caveat to this: my wife told me I could buy whatever vehicle I could afford BUT I had to install her supercharger first.

Lol all things considered, that is really not at all a bad arrangement you have there ;)

RichV

Reaction score
Those are some of the reasons I HATE driving my SVO. I'm always thinking someone is going to rear end it or hit some body panel or piece that's difficult to find. SVOs are still out there, some companies are starting to make aftermarket replacement stuff but every part of that car has some sort of SVO specific piece that costs 3x+ the same stuff on other Fox cars. I couldn't even imagine that on a imported car. It almost makes driving it no fun. So you get as much insurance as you can and hope for the best.

I'm picking up my summer toy today, the 95 GT. I'll post up a little later on it. But I can get ANY part for it for pennies and it's a very fun car to drive. But it's not exclusive that's for sure!

A local shop I used to fill my nitrous bottles at was a big import place. They had a R34 in the showroom that I drooled at every time I went in. RHD sweet car, I don't know anything about them tho.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Those are some of the reasons I HATE driving my SVO. I'm always thinking someone is going to rear end it or hit some body panel or piece that's difficult to find. SVOs are still out there, some companies are starting to make aftermarket replacement stuff but every part of that car has some sort of SVO specific piece that costs 3x+ the same stuff on other Fox cars. I couldn't even imagine that on a imported car. It almost makes driving it no fun. So you get as much insurance as you can and hope for the best.

I'm picking up my summer toy today, the 95 GT. I'll post up a little later on it. But I can get ANY part for it for pennies and it's a very fun car to drive. But it's not exclusive that's for sure!

A local shop I used to fill my nitrous bottles at was a big import place. They had a R34 in the showroom that I drooled at every time I went in. RHD sweet car, I don't know anything about them tho.

Yes, I'm doubting I'll slug along in 5:30 traffic much for that exact reason. I have a coworker that wants to carpool anyway.

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
^ not bad but it's in worse shape than my 98 GT.. I'm going to buy the best example I can afford when the time comes. My budget should be around $20k.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online