In a hell of a bind on a turbo build's ignition.

Turbo94GTDallas

Reaction score
First off like to take this chance to greet everyone I am new on here this is my first SN of the many models I have owned. Very unique car I love it most of the others. To those that read this I hope to return any as for I work for Ford (parts dept ) and will do anything I can to help other people so if ya'll ever need anything from my end please just hollar. Onto my issue I bought a Turbo kit and a 306 for this sexy blue girl of mine. Took a month's worth of bay space at the shop here and a hellofa lot of fab as this was a custom kit for a 91 fox (carb'd ) Ran into almost every problem imaginable. This is build is VERY important for sentimental reasons so I come to you all with hat in hand in need of help. I have a bastardized ignition system. The 306 came with a new msd pro billet for a 91' no TFI on the dist (mine is on the passenger fender) It has the two wires hanging out the distributor . and that's it. The ignition box i'm using is an older Mallory 610-108 with digital boost control (basically a high fire with a display unit to raise lower timing. Adapters from msd or Mallory will not work on the tfi plug mounted on the fender and Im using the Mallory wiring diag. for the ign. So the distributor uses magnetic pick up the box has leads out for that the rest is where I am stuck I have five wires in the harness from the box that using each companies diagram contradicts or says to use an adapter that does not work on a fender mounted tfi. Does this thing need to see EEc feedback or anything for injector pulse? So I have a round plug at the dizzy one at the coil (using Mallory oil filled coil) and all the TFI shit in the fender I do not know what needs to be used what can go ect. Any advice would be great I have to leave my cpu in about 20 mins and be outta pocket for a bit but will check back asap. Thanks again!! - Corey

daltonduree

Reaction score
from what i just read it would be easier to just eliminate the tfi and use the malory box and just wire it up like a vintage car. there is alot more to this like what are you using for a fuel pump?

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Why don't Use a stock distributor. It would work fine for a turbo build.. You don't have to use the box. Why don't you try it with the stock ignition. Just a better coil colder plugs and new wires. Then If you must use the box.

OP
OP
T

Turbo94GTDallas

Reaction score
The fuel pump is a 255 and a Vortech boost pump injectors are 60's. The box is also controling the retard for the Nitrous. I could be wrong but everything I have read says the Tfi has to be incorporated.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
So boost and nitrous on a 306. You could be pushing it just a lil to much. You can do all the timing curves on the tune instead of the box..

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Ok. So the tfi has to be part of it. But you're trying to use a distributor not meant for this car. Ignore dalton. You can not go "vintage style" because the car is efi. But you know this.
So. I would recommend not mixing up components not meant for this car.. if you start splicing you could end up with a bigger headache down the road.. you can do all your timing curves for nitrous on a nitrous tune. And have a different tune just for boost.. it be a more simple than trying to get those things to work.

OP
OP
T

Turbo94GTDallas

Reaction score
I am in Texas (Dallas/Richardson area.The nitrous is going to be the 1st stage if you will, it will do the work while the turbo spools. The distributor is hooked up(will it work who knows), The ignition supports magnetic pick up its set at TDC just st get it it started then will be locked out at 31. I guess what im looking for is and I do not know how to post a picture here but please see this scroll down to page 8. diag. http://prestoliteperformance.com/me...ing_control_ignition_610-08_610-06_610-04.pdf
Their little adapter harness for our TFI shown in picture does not work for remote fender mounted TFI I am sure after market ignitions have been put on our cars right?

OP
OP
T

Turbo94GTDallas

Reaction score
By the way Gentleman, I appreciate your time. First build I have had to ask for any forum help on.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Man your like an hour away. There is a few members on here not to far from you tho.. maybe I can swing by on my days off and check out your car..

OP
OP
T

Turbo94GTDallas

Reaction score
Correct it does but if you look at the pin out on the tfi it comes from the tfi to the coil. Just for shits and grins i pulled up msd's website and looked up a distributor for a 94 and came up with what I have only note or difference was it said use with aftermarket ignition.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
TFI_5.0_comparison.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online