In for a penny, in for a pound - '98 Cobra Build Thread

Lanter

Reaction score
First I would like to introduce myself my name is Kevin and I am currently working as a combustion and performance engineer helping design natural gas engines. I graduated from Purdue University in 2012 with a bachelors in mechanical engineering. I have been married for a couple of years now and have a 10 month old son, so the project often takes a back seat which will make for a lengthy build. I have some questions so I look forward to some of your guy's input. So I purchased the car back in 2006 while in high school, and left it relatively stock for the entirety of school and most of college. The car became my daily driver while going to college, as my other car was more of a project at the time. The other car was a 1977 Datsun 280z that I dropped a l28et motor in and swapped a larger turbo onto that. I also built a megasquirt ecu and tuned the car myself. That was a fun project but the mustangs always been my number one car so it was time to part ways with the datsun and focus on the cobra. So after graduating and getting situated I parked the car to begin my build. So officially the project started around August 2013 with the removal of the engine.

IMG_0042_Copy.jpg

IMG_0286_Copy.jpg

I sent the engine to a local engine builder, Williams Precision Engines, out of St. Paul, Indiana. After consulting with him we decided on a direction and ended up with what I hope will be a strong reliable engine.

Engine has the following:
-Custom Diamond dished 2618 pistons (-11cc)
-Manley H beam rods with ARP2000 rod bolts
-Stock micro polished crank
-ARP main studs
-ARP side bolts
-ARP crank balancer bolt
-ARP head studs
-Manley SS intake and exhaust valves

-New valve springs
-Valve job/bowl port
-New water pump
-TSS billet oil pump
-New ford timing chains/tensioners/gears

Other engine parts:
-COP conversion
-Underdrive pulleys
-MMR IMRC delete plates

IMG_1143_Copy.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1300.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

While the engine was at the builder I went ahead and tore the interior out to install a MM 6pt roll bar with swing out door bars.

IMG_0041_Copy.jpg

IMG_0148_Copy.jpg

IMG_0151_Copy.jpg

Also decided to make a rear seat delete. Delete consists of 1/4" MDF and a roll or black carpet. I decided to make my own to try and get the rear to sit flush with the back panels and also I didn't want to pay 100+ dollars for one. I think it turned out ok but there is some changes I would make if I was to do it again.

IMG_0157_Copy.jpg

IMG_0172_Copy.jpg

IMG_0173_Copy.jpg

Next area I focused on was the front suspension, mostly because I needed to get the car rolling again as my wife and I moved to a different house. I purchased a UPR chrome moly k member and coilover kit for the front. I plan on also running coilovers in the rear but can't decide on whether to buy the upr kit and put in springs from maximum motorsports and also swap the front springs, or to buy MM rear coilovers and eventually upgrade the fronts to MM as well. I plan to let the car see a road course from time to time so the UPR springs will not work. But this is an area I'll come back to after the car is running.

IMG_0145_Copy.jpg

IMG_0147_Copy.jpg

I also cleaned and painted my brake calipers.

Brake.jpg

caliper.jpg

My wife and I then purchased our first house, so with that and our son the project really took a back seat. Not being as able to work on it didn't stop me from stocking up on parts though. So I was able to get my hand on a set of chrome Saleen lemans.

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

I am going to send the rears off to weldcraft to have them widened to 10.5". I also picked up some speedhut gauges on sale.

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1206_Copy.jpg

This led me to make a relay board to power the gauges, which I am still in the middle of installing. My next purchase was a turbonetics 7868 turbo.
IMG_1138_Copy.png

Engine_Copy.jpg

That pretty much catches the project up to this point. So the most recent project has been the coolant system. I purchased an on3 crossover delete kit along with some fragola AN fittings and black nylon braided hose.

IMG_1644.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

So at this point I need to pick up the rest of the parts I need to finish the car. My list at this point is:
-t56 magnum
-mcleod rxt clutch
-mcleod flywheel
-build the rear end with 31 spline axles and weld the tubes
-rear coil overs (MM)
-glenn's performance fuel system
-turbo hot side/ cold side (on3)
-FX1 pro seats, tracks
-wideband o2

I am sure I missed something...

Feel free to critique the car and give your input as I am always after ideas to make my car a little more different or improve on stuff where I can.

OP
OP
Lanter

Lanter

Reaction score
Looks good so far - what are the goals?

Goals are to have a 700 or so horsepower reliable car. It's going to primarily be a street car. I'm not that into drag racing anymore but wouldn't mind getting into autocross and open track events. But that stuff will be a little farther down the road after I get the maximum motorsports suspension bits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Cool man, looks like its going to be a killer ride. Questions about the engine.. having a local guy do it, how much did it run you?

1bad95

Reaction score
Killer project man! Jealous of the LeMans! I want a set so badly but they will cost a fortune to get a set

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Lanter

Lanter

Reaction score
Cool man, looks like its going to be a killer ride. Questions about the engine.. having a local guy do it, how much did it run you?

Thanks, I'm really hoping so. Also hoping that it doesn't turn into a 5 year project :undecided:.. I sent you a PM on the engine cost as I would rather not put that in the thread. But if anyone has questions on cost breakdown for anything I do on this project feel free to PM as I keep an ongoing spreadsheet that details the build cost down to the nuts and bolts.

Killer project man! Jealous of the LeMans! I want a set so badly but they will cost a fortune to get a set

No joke the first thing I said when I saw your car was that it needed chrome LeMans. Would absolutely set your car off!. I love the color, by far my favorite sn95 color. I lucked into finding my set, with the only downside being the rears need widened. I also got a screaming deal on them so I couldn't pass them up, especially being my absolute favorite sn wheel of all time. Every once and a while a set pops up, just keep and eye out and you may find a decent set for a good price.

Nice project and great turbo u got there!

Thanks, I'm hoping that it will make the power I am yearning for.

1bad95

Reaction score
What really sucks is the car had them from saleen with the 9" front and 10" rears. Sometime during the 16 years prior to me getting it they were removed for some reason. For the price of them now I'd probably pick up a set of chrome true forged or ccw's

OP
OP
Lanter

Lanter

Reaction score
What really sucks is the car had them from saleen with the 9" front and 10" rears. Sometime during the 16 years prior to me getting it they were removed for some reason. For the price of them now I'd probably pick up a set of chrome true forged or ccw's

Wow that does suck it had a factory staggered set and someone ditched them. On the bright side though your car looks great on the new edge saleens. TF and CCWs are never a bad choice if you have the coin for them.

1bad95

Reaction score
Thanks Lanter. Yeah I was pretty crushed.

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Looks like a excellent start, sir. Very solid beginnings to what should be a very fun car when you are done. Keep us posted on your progress.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Sweet project, love your avatar too! Are you going to build your own harness for the export tail lights or did they come with harnesses? I just bought a set and I'm going to build a harness. Should be a cinch.

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Awesome project man! The exports are going to look great

Where at in Indiana are you from? Im a senior at Purdue right now studying MET

OP
OP
Lanter

Lanter

Reaction score
Sweet project, love your avatar too! Are you going to build your own harness for the export tail lights or did they come with harnesses? I just bought a set and I'm going to build a harness. Should be a cinch.

Thanks, that was my sons first time going to the race track. They actually came with the harnesses in good order. I've looked at a couple harnesses that were made and it seems pretty straight forward. Yours should look fantastic against the white.

=sleepn_sn95;1327245]Awesome project man! The exports are going to look great

Where at in Indiana are you from? Im a senior at Purdue right now studying MET

Thanks man. I really dig your car, you've done some great work to it. Nice choice on wheels to replace the gold XXR's, though I miss looking at your car on the gold wheels. Lol

I'm from Greensburg which is about an hour south east of indy. Right on man, I knew a couple met's while I was at Purdue. Any idea where your looking to work after graduation?

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Thanks man. I really dig your car, you've done some great work to it. Nice choice on wheels to replace the gold XXR's, though I miss looking at your car on the gold wheels. Lol

I'm from Greensburg which is about an hour south east of indy. Right on man, I knew a couple met's while I was at Purdue. Any idea where your looking to work after graduation?

Thanks. I still have another year to go so I dont really have anywhere in mind yet.

After I posted I saw that you also have the turbo datsun. I believe we met a couple times at some PAPA events my freshmen year. The cobra use to sit outside of Tarkington right?

OP
OP
Lanter

Lanter

Reaction score
Thanks. I still have another year to go so I dont really have anywhere in mind yet.

After I posted I saw that you also have the turbo datsun. I believe we met a couple times at some PAPA events my freshmen year. The cobra use to sit outside of Tarkington right?

Oh right on. Well best of luck.

I was thinking that was you as the car looked familiar. You were on cobra r's or saleens at the time I believe and looking for a cobra bumper.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I noticed the water pump and alt pulley. ..what brand or vendor did you buy them from?

OP
OP
Lanter

Lanter

Reaction score
I noticed the water pump and alt pulley. ..what brand or vendor did you buy them from?

To be completely honest the alt pulley and under drive kit were on the car when I purchased it back in 2006. So unfortunately I haven't a clue what the vendor they were from.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Just curious. The waterpump look identical to the ones I make, but the alt is smaller. I thought maybe you purchased from a vendor at the track.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online