In need of help?? I'm desperate!

prstang

Reaction score
Car was giving me problem starting. I finally got it started and the revs shot up to 3grand and then died. Someone suggested a bad TPS sensor. Therefore I went out and switched the TPS and everything started out fine. Took the car out for a drive and the car just crapped out and didn't want to start up again. I can hear the fuel pump whirl but the car will not start. Please someone shine some light on this problem. It will go to the shop tomorrow and I would like to have an idea what's the problem. The car ha a new fuel pump,o2 sensor, IAC,TPS, and ignition control module and many more.

281cammer

Reaction score
Vacuum leak, or mass air are two possibles. The iac would of been my first guess, but I see you've already installed one of those

OP
OP
P

prstang

Reaction score
I recently cleaned mass air meter and reassembled. It has stock air induction system.

NYC94GT

Reaction score
prstang said:
I recently cleaned mass air meter and reassembled. It has stock air induction system.
Check the element inside the MAS CLOSELY. Make sure there isn't any breaks or cracks... If not, check Fuel Pressure. Because the pump comes on doesn't mean you have good pressure.

OP
OP
P

prstang

Reaction score
The mechanic metioned something about the pick-up points in the distributor if I understood him right. It seems to be a electrical rpoblem. The only problem it come and goes. Park the car and sometimes it starts and other times it doesn't. It tries to turn over snd that's it. Should jusst buy a new distributor?

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
It's called a Hall Effect Sensor. You can replace it inside the distributor reasonably easy. You need to mark where the distributor is pointing when you remove it, and re-install it the same way.

To get the hall effect sensor out, you'll need an assortment of nutdrivers, and simply because I can't remember if you need to pull the shaft, have a small punch on hand to knock out the roll pin at the bottom of the shaft that holds the gear on. Then the shaft slides right out. I've replaced a couple before and it's not that bad. Much cheaper than a new distributor.

zero_chance

Reaction score
Yeah definitely try to have the problem diagnosed before you start swapping parts out. Most shops charge a flat diag fee which is a lot cheaper than buying a distributor and hoping that fixes it. And they have the right tools to diag it correctly. Then if its something you can fix yourself go ahead and do it.

OP
OP
P

prstang

Reaction score
The stator was replaced and the car is back on the road. Everythings good for now!! :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online