inconsistent power steering

Jposey66

Reaction score
Having weird issue with the power steering on my 97 GT. Drove it to dinner one night. When I left, it immediately had steering issues. Steering was notchy like the power assist was going away. It's almost undriveable because the power assist is so unpredictable now. I have installed a reman power steering pump and a reman rack and pinion and am still having the same problem. Can a Hydroboost issue cause these kind of problems? That's really all that's left in the system. I have searched all over this forum trying to find where someone has had a similar problem but no luck.

Thanks,
Posey

07GtS197

Reaction score
Are you having issues with hard brakes too? Could be the hydroboost. Does it seems stiffer in the low rpm’s? And do you have underdrive pullies?

OP
OP
J

Jposey66

Reaction score
Brakes may be a little off but not near as off as the steering. No underdrive pullies. Steering is weird at any rpm

07GtS197

Reaction score
First, I’d start by checking the fluid in the resivoir for bubbles in the fluid while it’s acting up. There could be some air trapped in the system.

OP
OP
J

Jposey66

Reaction score
Update: This ended up being the exterior universal joint in the steering shaft going bad. It was completely locked up in one axis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albertmarshall7752

Members online