Info on Keys and Remotes

BlkVert

Reaction score
Just picked up a 97 GT and I'm trying to get all the little stuff sorted out.

What's the skinny on getting another key? Will any PATS key work or is there any specifics I need to watch for? I all ready have 2 but 3 is better in case one is lost.

Also what's the story on GT's and key less entrys? On one hand I hear they all have them, on another I hear they don't. How can I tell if mine has it before I pick up a remote? Also which remotes will work, the 4 button ones?

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
you need a four button one, just look on ebay, they go for cheap...to see if you have one, go to your trunk, take off the back panel, then take off (or just peel back) the left panel, look for a big black box, if there is one there, you have keyless entry.

96gt226410

Reaction score
DFG is right about the keyless entry. And Ford uses the same PATS key for a bunch of different cars. You need to go to Ford and find out the right one. You only need one to program another and you can do it yourself. It's very easy.

OP
OP
B

BlkVert

Reaction score
Darn found an empty bracket where it looks like the keyless entry should be. Is it as easy as finding a box and plugging it in?

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
BlkVert said:
Darn found an empty bracket where it looks like the keyless entry should be. Is it as easy as finding a box and plugging it in?

whenever i bought my 98 i was confused about the keyless too.. behind that empty bracket, is the actual keyless unit. its a small box with a antenna and 3 harnesses plugged in. whenever you purchase your keyfab off of ebay their is a small bracket hanging from the back of the box. it has 2 prongs on it. it looks like something should be connected to it.. .anyways if you take a paperclip and touch the 2 prongs it will cause a reset and your locks will jump up and down. whenever they do that press the lock on your new fab and it will program itself...

danroadking

Reaction score
I have a 96 GT Convertible, were can I found this box in this car? :dunno:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
For what they are charging for a new key and setup these days at Ford you could have an aftermarket alarm installed.

Willis_98GT

Reaction score
open your trunk, and pull the fake carpet off on the left side, it will look like their should be a box sitting on a black bracket. and your keyless box is on the other side of that bracket.

nyuk98gt

Reaction score
danroadking:

Be careful when you go to remove the side liner. It is held in place with some plastic push-pin things and it is (normally) tightly fitted. You need to GENTLY jockey it around to ease it out of place. It is fiberglass so it will tear or break. Take your time is the best advice I can give you.

Chris

danroadking

Reaction score
nyuk98gt said:
danroadking:

Be careful when you go to remove the side liner. It is held in place with some plastic push-pin things and it is (normally) tightly fitted. You need to GENTLY jockey it around to ease it out of place. It is fiberglass so it will tear or break. Take your time is the best advice I can give you.

Chris
Good advice, thank you, I’ll do it tomorrow. :thumb:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Staff online