Info on new engine

JR98

Reaction score
Hi i want to ask a few questions I have A 1998 Mustang G.T 4.6 automatic 1st when i stop at a red light and then it turns green my car troughs a cloud of white smoke out of the exhaust Ive taken to get checked and they tell me its coolent getting into the engine, it burns and thats when white smoke comes out the exhaust, those that sound about right? they tell me its the head gaskets that i have to replace but its kind of pricey and since my engine has about 137k miles they tell me its better to replace the hole engine with a new one then to fix the problem what do u think? 2nd if i need to get a new engine what engine should i get that fits directly to the car without doing any modifications to the car? If i need to get a new engine i would like to get an engine that has more horsepower than stock can u guys help me out on that? One last thing i have a few boltons in the engine i have right now that i would like to use in the new engine I have BBK cold air intake, BBK shorty headers, Performance pulleys, Bassani X pipe with no cats, 2 inch piping from headers all the way to tips, spin tech mufflers, and 373 gears. Can u guys help me out on what engine i should get and if there is an engine that has more horsepower than stock and if u guys might now the price of it give or take. If u guys could answer these few questions i would really appreciated. Thank You.

voidfinger

Reaction score
well these engines usually last till about 200k , if i was you i would get some PI Heads, Cams, and intake and the head change kit and everything that you need to do it and swap those puppies. That would give you the 260 that the PI 99 up cars had, also it will bump compressiong to about 10:1 or 10.5:1 , so you will gain hp and fuel economy from that, but you would have to run premium. :) thats what i'm doing in my 98 auto vert :) good luck

OP
OP
J

JR98

Reaction score
OK i would take that into consideration Thank You very much

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
there are tons of options available to you, id say if you can get your hands on a cobra engine, drop that bad boy in, other than that have the engine rebuilt with the PI swap done to it

OP
OP
J

JR98

Reaction score
Thank You I'm new at these all try to post more picture as soon as i get familiar with these

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
i really hope your exhaust isnt 2 inch piping...talk about backpres sure. :eek:

OP
OP
J

JR98

Reaction score
well actually i have 2 inch piping from the mufflers to the tips u think thats a problem

OP
OP
J

JR98

Reaction score
well actually the stock pipes from the mufflers to the stock tips were 1 1/2 thats why i went with 2 inches and 3 inch tips u think thats a problem as far as back pressure? let me know so i could go change them

voidfinger

Reaction score
man , mine had 2 1/2 like the aftermarket exaust, that sucks.

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
dont buy from jasper, and if you do, be VERY nice to it and go the whole break in period and then some, change oil on time (500-1000 for first) and don't get on it for a while. i blew one with only 857 miles on it.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
you should start looking for a replacement engine from a 01-04 Mustang GT in junkyards and online. Its a direct swap with no need to change anything. Also finding an engine from the newer explorer is good since it has the aluminum block and will save about 80lbs off the front.

check www.karkraft.com for replacement engines.

97blackgt

Reaction score
i would think about doing a PI head and intake swap...its not that hard with some basic mechanical skills....you would gain hp and fix the problem all at once

ripper

Reaction score
All those sugestions make good sense but do you have the money for a new motor or PI swap? If not then just get the headgaskets replaced.

OP
OP
J

JR98

Reaction score
well i kind of have the money since its tax time but i just dont want to fix my engine that has about 137k miles and its just going to last me a few months or a year what do u suggest?

OP
OP
J

JR98

Reaction score
they tell me its going to run me about 2k just to replace the head gaskets and for 1k more i could get a new engine, what do u think.

White 96GT

Reaction score
yeah its called doing it yourself. I really don't mean to be a jerk but this engine stuff isn't that hard. Trust me I'm only 16 and I have had the intake/heads off my 96GT before. For no real reason I just wanted to do it and I already had to have the intake off to replace it so I figured I'd be good experience and I'd get to know my motor a little better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online