Info on new engine

voidfinger

Reaction score
yea, not trying to be mean, but you would be stupid to the 9th degree if you paid 2,000 for someone putting new gaskets on there. Wow, the head gaskets at most is 100 dollars a piece, and if they paid top dollar for the rest, it would be no more thank 500 dollars total. So they are wanting to charge you 1,500 dollars for a half days work or less if they have all the tools. Wow

ripper

Reaction score
Well 2k is way too much for a headgasket job. And your not gonna get a new motor for 3k. HG job should be around 800bux. New engine like 5 or 6 installed. 8k for a forged PI motor.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
personally.

i'd find a used motor out of a 01-04 mustang GT and drop it in.. you can usually find one for $1200 w/ low mileage if you look around.. Also you can have the motor installed for around $1000 so. $2200 for a low mileage PI motor installed

OP
OP
J

JR98

Reaction score
Yeah i know i could try to do it myself but i dont have that much of mechanic experience and if i mess up something its going to come out of my own pocket aswell, as if i take it to a mechanic it least i will have a warrenty with them. I dont know its something i have to really think of doing but lets say i replace the gaskets of the heads with the engine having 137k miles on it its it worth it?

OP
OP
J

JR98

Reaction score
I mean what do u guys think my engine has 137k miles going on to 140K miles is it worth fixing it or getting a new engine from a 2002 or 2003 GT or an engine that has low miles aswell. thats my biggest consern i dont want to fix the engine i have on it and its going to last me a few months or up to a year then i have to think of getting a new engine cause it has alot of miles u know what i mean im more looking into the future cause i dont want to spend more money later when i could try to do it right now with out fixing the engine i have. WHAT DO U GUYS THINK?

voidfinger

Reaction score
well, i got 138K and i'm doing the headswap now. but thats me.

OP
OP
J

JR98

Reaction score
so u think its worth fixing the engine i have right now then

voidfinger

Reaction score
its up to you man, was the car running good and not burning oil before that happened? if so it might be ok just to do that, but i'm not sure. Its whatever you want to do dude.

Thomas_W

Reaction score
voidfinger said:
its up to you man, was the car running good and not burning oil before that happened? if so it might be ok just to do that, but i'm not sure. Its whatever you want to do dude.

+1

for me.. if i had the $$$ to afford the headswap @ $1200 and could find a low mileage 01-04 GT engine for the same price.. there is no doubt how i would go.. i would do the 01-04 gt engine hands down.

ripper

Reaction score
Theres a guy with a blown 5.0 on here with 200k on it still runnin strong.

OP
OP
J

JR98

Reaction score
well yeah actually it was rinning great untill that happend.

OP
OP
J

JR98

Reaction score
Ok guys well thank you all for all ur guys opinion ill keep all ur guys opinion in mind, ill keep u guys post it see what i do and whats the end results.THANK YOU

OP
OP
J

JR98

Reaction score
another question if i put a 99 - 04 engine on my 98 mustang gt what do i have to change or will it just drop in and connect directly to everything thats already there or do i have to change some stuff and like what?

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
you should start looking for a replacement engine from a 01-04 Mustang GT in junkyards and online. Its a direct swap with no need to change anything. Also finding an engine from the newer explorer is good since it has the aluminum block and will save about 80lbs off the front.

check www.karkraft.com for replacement engines.

01-04 GT motor FTW!

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
JR98 said:
another question if i put a 99 - 04 engine on my 98 mustang gt what do i have to change or will it just drop in and connect directly to everything thats already there or do i have to change some stuff and like what?

it will drop in and connect to everything. i'm doing this swap right now. if you have udp's on your current motor the waterpump pulley won't work on the 01-04's.

OP
OP
J

JR98

Reaction score
ok cause i talk to a few mustang shops here about that and they told me its not just droping it in i have to change the harness wirering and the computer if i had the money to go ahead and do it but i have to change all that r they right?

voidfinger

Reaction score
whats differenet with the harness, if thats different, i wouldn't consider it a drop in. :dunno:

OP
OP
J

JR98

Reaction score
and how much is the harness give or take

OP
OP
J

JR98

Reaction score
but for sure its just the harness thats different right everything else for sure will go on cause i dont want to get the engine and i have to change alot of things or even return it cause its alot of money to change that and im already on a budget thats why

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online