****ing stereo. Help.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Rockford Fosgate punch speakers, alpine deck (this years model, brandy new), arc audio 4100se amp, 2- 10" JBL subs. Basically, rear subs and amp aren't on at all. Checked the wires going to the amp from the subs and vice versa, they're fine. There is no power at the amp, I can tell because the light isn't on at all. I installed the radio a few months ago, everything was fine.. Now as of a few weeks ago the subs and amp haven't worked, and randomly my rear speakers won't work but they're hooked up.. I checked the fuses on the amp, they're fine. Any fuses by the kickpanel that would maybe cause this if they're blown? I started to check but it started snowing so I had to stop and cover the car.. Any help would be great.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Use a voltmeter and verify that your power and ground cables to the amp are good before determining the amp is dead.

OP
OP
the5.ohh

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Not sure I have one, I do have a test light though. If need be I can borrow an amp we have laying around and hook that up just to see if the amp is the issue.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its a little harder to troubleshoot electronics accurately with out one and you can get them for as little as $10-20 for a basic one. There are a couple of little things we can try with out one which are or are not normally recommended to do... Bear with me.

It could be the remote turn on from the deck, it could be a bad amp, hard to tell. Take a small piece of wire (5-6") and strip a little off of both ends. With the key off take that wire and touch one end to the +12v constant terminal and then the other end to the remote turn on(after disconnecting the wire that goes back to the deck). If the fuse for the power wire is good and you have power at the amp the amp will turn on, but no sound. If you fail to disconnect that wire it may or may not do damage to your deck

If nothing happens then turn the key/deck on with the volume down/0 and do the same test again but IF YOU SEE THE AMP TURN ON IMMEDIATLY DISCONNECT THAT WIRE. This will test if you have power at the remote turn on but in doing so you will also power the amp up with the remote turn on wire which IT IS NOT DESIGNED TO DO. If it does power the amp up and you keep it on too long there is a good chance you will blow either the fuse on the remote turn on or the output from it. The firs test is harmless (assuming the wire to the radio is disconnected) but the 2nd one as explained you would be better off with cheap meter stabbing the terminals to find out all you needs safely in 3 secs.

I take no responsibility for any damage to your amp/deck/speakers as I said I would recommend a meter but if ya have to I understand.

Witzy0070

Reaction score
Once upon a time I had a stereo that had a fuse on the remote wire that was right behind the deck. It popped and I wasn't able to tell the amp to turn on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online