Injectors (SVO Blower thread)

9psi 98

Reaction score
:help2:I just bought a 98GT with a ton of mods. It has "Red" top injectors in it. I was told they were 39#, Is there a chart anywhere online that would tell me this??

GDawg

Reaction score
Re: Injectors

My stockers were 19# or 24#. I'm at 36# now with light blue tops.

OP
OP

9psi 98

Reaction score

Thanks, that info will be good to know when I buy another MAF and get it tuned.

OP
OP

9psi 98

Reaction score

Actually, now that I think about it more... What color are the 39#ers supposed to be? ...Just to eliminate all doubt.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

39's are a different style injector and as far as i know not a direct swap into our cars.

The reds if they are FRPP are 30#ers

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

I just looked at your sig and noticed you have the SVO blower, that comes with 30lb reds in the kit. I would ditch them and get some 42# green tops and a 90mm Lightening MAF and a retune. The computer that comes with that blower is also junk.

OP
OP

9psi 98

Reaction score

Yeah, I've heard the comp is junk. I plan on getting it retuned, but that wouldn't make much sense If I got a new computer for it. Any suggestions about getting a new computer? If I were to get another comp, couldn't I skip the performance chip BS and just get a custom burned comp instead? 42# and a Lightning MAF and a re-tune...Will the Lighting parts work with my current harness and do they come programmed to work with 40# injectors. I just got home from work and it's loading up and running like s-hit, I think one or more of the plugs/wires may be shot....I'm gonna go put in a little wrench time while it's still nice outside and see what's up. I'm new to this 281 stuff, so you all will have to bear with me. I'm a previous 5.0 guy...

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

The Lightning 90mm MAF is a direct swap and plug in, the injectors are not tuned to the MAF's on Modulars like on 5.0's you change them in the tune. I would try to find a stock ECU from a 98 and swap it for the one thats in there now and then get a custon SCT Dyno tune. I've heard that some tuners have a hard time resetting the parameters in the supplied SVO/FRPP Blower ECU and its easier to tune the stock ECU. Those injectors are also probably max'd out so the 42's will allow you to make more power.

firstonraceday

Reaction score

39#ers are high impedance and don't use the same wire harness as our cars.

OP
OP

9psi 98

Reaction score

All good to know, I actually have the stock ECU. The previous owner actually gave it to me with the car along with some other stock stuff. I'll be sure to mention that I have it to the tuner so that they can let me know what will be better. I did a little more research and along with all of your input, I definitely have 30#ers. What is the problem with the SVO ECU? Will going back to the stock ECU cause any problems? :help2:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

The SVO ECU is just harder to make changes to...if you go back to the stock ECU you can't drive it until you get a Dyno Tune.

voidfinger

Reaction score

so why is it junk though? is it not tuned well or something? or is it not good since he upped the psi? b/c stock is 6 right?

OP
OP

9psi 98

Reaction score

yes, stock is 6 psi. I didn't plan on swapping ECU's right now. I just want to set up which combo's I want before I get it tuned so I don't have to do it again. At $300 an hour, I'm going to make sure all of my ducks are in a row before I set up an appointment. What is the problem with the SVO, lack of tuning ability, or lack of compatibility with any mods other than the ones supplied in the blower kit? This car has a lot of things that suprised me. A blower, but a stock throttle body and pre-intake (K&N filter though). Full Magnaflow exhaust, but no headers..... Stock rear end.... That's about it, everything else has been modified to be better. It just strikes me as weird that some of the simplest things haven't been done. Headers look like a nightmare to put on this car...

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

The ECU thats comes with the blower kit sucks all around. The tune it comes with from Ford isn't very good and tuning it is harder after you get a smaller pulley and cams etc etc.

One of the reasons this blower got a bad reputation was that Ford didn't supply an adequate Install kit from the get go...if your car was 100% stock and you just added this blower with the stock 6psi then you would be ok (but the tune was very rich and not for power but longevity) but who is gonna do that? So as soon as you start a few mods the 30#'s are maxxed out as is the 190lph fuel pump and the forementioned ECU.

Those who upgraded the fuel system and MAF's gained like 30rwhp and more with the smaller pulleys. Another thing i noticed is this blower does not like the stock cams...some Blower Cams are a must! I have VT st 2 blower cams and Thomas who posts on here gained like 50rwhp when adding Crower st 2 blower cams to his.

I sold my 30's and 190lph pump and replaced them with 42's and 255 walbro...and that SVO ECU never left the box 8) I'll be going SCT Tune on the stock ECU.

OP
OP

9psi 98

Reaction score

Well, I already have the 255lph fuel pump and smaller pulley going for me, so that's one less thing that I have to do. I've noticed that above 5000rpm the car's power seems to "break up" I continue accelerating, but it isn't smooth at all, almost like it's misfiring. Everything from idle to 5k pulls smooth though. It definetely doesn't smoke or detonate at all, but I don't stay into it for very long just to be safe. Maybe it's the stock air intake starving it for air, or the 30# injectors starving it for fuel....i dunno, but I'm going to get that tune, MAF, and bigger injectors sooner than later before something bad happens... the new headlights and other eye candy will have to be put on the back burner for now.... A Washington D.C. Firefighter only makes so much dough... :lame:

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score

just FYI, you can get the wiring harnesses for $45 from buyfordracing.com to convert the EV1 harnesses to EV6 harnesses so you can use the 39# injectors...and they actually flow the same as 42# injectors and can usually be found easier and cheaper.

voidfinger

Reaction score

9psi 98 said:
yes, stock is 6 psi. I didn't plan on swapping ECU's right now. I just want to set up which combo's I want before I get it tuned so I don't have to do it again. At $300 an hour, I'm going to make sure all of my ducks are in a row before I set up an appointment. What is the problem with the SVO, lack of tuning ability, or lack of compatibility with any mods other than the ones supplied in the blower kit? This car has a lot of things that suprised me. A blower, but a stock throttle body and pre-intake (K&N filter though). Full Magnaflow exhaust, but no headers..... Stock rear end.... That's about it, everything else has been modified to be better. It just strikes me as weird that some of the simplest things haven't been done. Headers look like a nightmare to put on this car...

The stock throttle body isn't that bad but i've heard the 70mm is the best for the svo blower and people said they have lost a couple hp by going to 75mm. The stock "pre-intake" is a lot better than the cold air "hot" intakes IMHO but i could be wrong, it might flow more air and not be so bad on a supercharged one. Also, shorties gain absolutly no hp vs the stock manifolds. They flow exstreamly well. but if you want to spend a better part of a day or so to put them on then go for it :) and the rear end if i can remember is like a 3.27 which is a really good rear for forced induction even though most people go with the 3.55's. :dunno:

I Think you got a killer car dude. No joke i would love to have it for a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online