Installing a 2001 Gear Selctor into a 1995 Mutang

Vettn71

Reaction score
I decided to install the gear selector I bought for a 2001 Mustang. It has a bigger handle and has the OD button right by the thumb. Visually the two shifter assemblies were identical, except for the handle lever. After removing the old gear selector assembly, I installed the 2001 unit. Everything went well until I tried to snap the cable onto the ball on the shift lever. It would not fit. The ball was smaller than the one on the 1995 assembly. I can’t get to the cable to change it out, due to the way my exhaust is configured. I noticed there was a nut holding the shift lever on to the base. After removing a plastic cover, I unscrewed the nut, wriggled the lever back and forth and took it out of the base. I did the same with the 2001 gear selector. The photos show the 1995 gear shift lever and bezel, and the 2001 selector base. They fit together just fine and it seems to work well. If someone is in the same situation I was, where you can’t get to the cable, this might be an option you want to try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online