Installing a full exhaust myself

monkeydude3

Reaction score
So within a few weeks I will be putting a full exhaust on our 1994 5.0 Mustang GT.

I will be doing Mac Shorty headers and mac o/r X pipe, and I will be putting on a flowmaster american thunder cat-back.

I will be putting the car up on 4 stands and doing it in my driveway. Mostly hand tools, but will have an air compressor and impact for most of the bolts/nuts.

How long should this take me realistically? I plan to start on a saturday evening and give most of Sunday to it... if need be, the following monday night and tuesday can be used.

How can I get the cat-back off? Can it slide out with it jacked up, or must I cut it? If so, where is a good place to cut it?

I would like to replace all the header bolts and the gaskets there, so where would you suggest I buy these? And the bolts for the H pipe connections, where should I get these as well?

Lastly, what are typical snags and problems you guys have run into in swapping the exhausT?

Any input let me know, thank you!

The Green GT

Reaction score
You might as well cut it. I have heard of someone taking the whole thing out, but they said it was a HUGE PITA. And soak everything with PB blaster the night before.

mine were cut right where it starts to go up over the axle.

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
Thanks, I figure I'll slice mine there. I mean, it' snot like anyone would love to put their stock cat-back back on... especially when the primary owner doesn't want it anymore too! haha

I have always used PB blaster on most every project, and it has yet to fail me!

How prone to breaking are the header bolts, I mean if I PB blast those, SHOULD they come out okay?

SVTGizzi

Reaction score
i didnt use any penetrating oil on mine wen i did my headers last summer with 75k on the car and had no problems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online