Installing an alarm system. Where is the best place to mount the Main Unit?

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
On my 96 GT coupe, I was thinking of installing the main unit under the Driver's seat and then tap into the connections on the drivers side kick panel. What do you guys recommend? Mine did not have a factory keyless entry BTW.

Reaction score
You should put it right on the front of the car...for reasons unknown...lol jk

The original owner of my car put some type of system in my car that has a kill switch for the system under the dash right above your legs when you sit in the driver seat. I think the module or whatever it is was placed somewhere behind the dash. I never really bothered to look for it but I know it's there somewhere. Under the seat would be cool but it gets kinda crowded under there. Maybe if you installed it IN the seat that could free up some space. Or maybe in the glove box.

jhiggins325

Reaction score
The jack wagon that owned my 2000 before me removed the factory alarm and installed and aftermarket one. He had it above the fuse box. Unfortunately, due to his inexperience and poor decision making, I have now found 4 shorts causing me to essentially rebuild the entire electrical system over the last month. If there is anything to learn from this, it's that having someone that knows what they are doing is invaluable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
On my 96 GT coupe, I was thinking of installing the main unit under the Driver's seat and then tap into the connections on the drivers side kick panel. What do you guys recommend? Mine did not have a factory keyless entry BTW.

If your considering installing it yourself, don't. I can't even try to sugar coat it and say that there is more then a few people on this entire site that could do it and not mess it up and mess their car up. Security installation is the most technical section of car audio install and I never recomend trying it unless there is someone there with experience to basically train you on it. The reason behind this is that you will need to know how to both find/identify the correct wires(not just look for a color of wire) and the test to confirm it and then finally connect to it correctly. Doing this wrong in the best case scenario will leave you will a mess of wires and a non-functional alarm. The worst case scenario you will have a wire mess and a car that will not run/start and needing to have it towed to someone like me to then fix it which is normally 2x the cost of installation. On top of all this the Door locks in our cars are honestly the most difficult of the types to agian find, diagnose and then correctly wire into. If you don't believe me look up "5-wire rest at ground reversing polarity wiring" and if you can make sense of the schematic, your lying to yourself...

Seriously it is not for the faint of heart or the amature that has done a couple of stereo installs for his buddies...

OP
OP

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
If your considering installing it yourself, don't. I can't even try to sugar coat it and say that there is more then a few people on this entire site that could do it and not mess it up and mess their car up. Security installation is the most technical section of car audio install and I never recomend trying it unless there is someone there with experience to basically train you on it. The reason behind this is that you will need to know how to both find/identify the correct wires(not just look for a color of wire) and the test to confirm it and then finally connect to it correctly. Doing this wrong in the best case scenario will leave you will a mess of wires and a non-functional alarm. The worst case scenario you will have a wire mess and a car that will not run/start and needing to have it towed to someone like me to then fix it which is normally 2x the cost of installation. On top of all this the Door locks in our cars are honestly the most difficult of the types to agian find, diagnose and then correctly wire into. If you don't believe me look up "5-wire rest at ground reversing polarity wiring" and if you can make sense of the schematic, your lying to yourself...

Seriously it is not for the faint of heart or the amature that has done a couple of stereo installs for his buddies...

Thanks for the information but I am skilled enough to do this. I am definitely not an amateur at wiring. I have wired entire vehicles. I am simply looking for vehicle specific information, I wasnt asking how to do it, lol.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ah ok then cool it will be nice to have someone else confident enough to help around here. I have to laugh a little though that if your confident enough to do a full alarm including identifying the master/slave switches in the 5 wire door locks I am not sure why your asking for reassurance as to where to mount the main unit. Under the seat is secure but it also makes more work if you have to get into add things or check if there are issues but it sounds like you would know that already as well.

Mustanger

Reaction score
I can see a trip to TTocs house in the future & staying with him for the duration while he installs my alarm & remote door openers! LOL...scared yah huh?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
alarms can kick the ass of even the best security specific experts. Anything from wire indicators wearing off which is a perfect example here. Again the 5 wire door locks they are easy to find as they are all pink and ran together in a nice tight bundle. You need the pink and yellow and pink and green but I remember one time all I could find were pink wires. I had to get a little crafty and rig up a system or wires and connectors to hold 3 amp fuses so I could safely test the wires to figure them out. I am not sure how many fuses I blew before I finally figured it out and not sure I would do it again as it was a PIA.

OP
OP

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
alarms can kick the ass of even the best security specific experts. Anything from wire indicators wearing off which is a perfect example here. Again the 5 wire door locks they are easy to find as they are all pink and ran together in a nice tight bundle. You need the pink and yellow and pink and green but I remember one time all I could find were pink wires. I had to get a little crafty and rig up a system or wires and connectors to hold 3 amp fuses so I could safely test the wires to figure them out. I am not sure how many fuses I blew before I finally figured it out and not sure I would do it again as it was a PIA.

Yeah, I have had some difficult projects. I had to diagnose a PCM issue when all the wires were white except two blue wires. I am incredibly familiar with electrical and its not from installing stereos and shit lol

OP
OP

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
ah ok then cool it will be nice to have someone else confident enough to help around here. I have to laugh a little though that if your confident enough to do a full alarm including identifying the master/slave switches in the 5 wire door locks I am not sure why your asking for reassurance as to where to mount the main unit. Under the seat is secure but it also makes more work if you have to get into add things or check if there are issues but it sounds like you would know that already as well.

I probably should clairify my reason of why I am asking where to install the main unit. Some Mustangs of these years come with a factory keyless entry, I was wondering if the trunk would be a good spot to install it since likely there could be connections to the old unit (or where the unit would have been) in there. I was thinking under the seat since the from my understanding, main loom for the door locks are adjacent to the seat, or more in the corner left of the drivers seat. I know I can install the unit anywhere I want. I was simply curious of where other SN95 owners installed theirs. thanks for the information btw.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.