Installing and adjusting double adjustable upper control arms?

BlackStallion

Reaction score
Another modification I need to do while doing my cobra brake conversion is to install my double adjustable upper rear control arms... I've never installed these before (that I can remember) and so what is the adjustment process on them? Just get it even on both sides and make sure pinion angle is good? My car is lowered, which is why I'm going to install them. Years of running stock arms have ruined my pinion bearing. Thanks

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I did the MM rear upper control arms also when I recently did an overhaul of my rear suspension. Best bit of advice: GET THE MM INSTALLATION TOOL! No joke. Especially when it comes to tightening the inboard nut next to the melon. PITA for sure! Key to minimizing your frustration level here is the accessible angle you create based on lifting the rear end. I think I probably did the sequence backwards. I installed the forward mounts first then tried to finagle the rear mounts in and , like I said, in hindsight believe the installation would have gone smoother if I had installed the rear mounts by the melon first. Rookie mistake, but hopefully this is good advice and others can learn from my mistakes!

Also, if you have a rear sway bar... remove it for the duration of the RUCA (and LRCA if you’re doing them at the same time like I did). It gets annoying working around and past it with the jack and getting tools in there to crank on this stuff! Reinstall it once everything’s back in place but before you tighten everything down for good. Why before tighten? You’re gonna need the wiggle room to get that puppy back in there properly and with less “creative ingenuity” than I had to use!

Lastly, measure or eyeball and commit to memory the gap on each side of the ends of the RUCA’s if you’re a masochist and plan on getting the RUCA’s that require you to install “the rubbers” as I like to call them. Or, you can save yourself A TON of aggravation and buy them preassembled (in which case you won’t need the MM Installation Tool). Totally worth it to buy them preassembled. Trust me on this!

And lastly... a sidebar:
I’m not familiar with “double adjustable“ RUCA’s. We might be talking about the same thing that I installed...And my unfamiliarity with the part! But all of the above still applies.

If you’re working on the ground with jacks and stands, it’s a son of a gun getting up and down 100 times for tools, adjusting height, etc, so get help if available. If you are fortunate enough to have a lift... I envy you! That’s all I can say!!

Good luck. It’s a job and a half, but I had a great sense of accomplishment once it’s all installed, back on the ground and all that’s left is the height adjustment.

Adfalenski

Reaction score
What I did was to remove one upper control arm and put it on a work surface. Insert just the mounting bolts through the old control arm bushings. Take the new upper control arm and slide one end over the threaded bolt sticking out of the bushing of the old control arm. Adjust the new control arm so that the other end can easily be placed over the other threaded bolt. Now that you have the new control arm adjusted to the stock length, tighten the hardware and then install the new control arm. Once you have both installed, take your pinion angle measurements and adjust from there.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
Did you buy them already? Sounds like you did.

Keep the stock UCAs - replace the bushings with OEM/rubber on the diff side, and poly on body side.
Get MM LCAs with poly. They do not need to be adjustable.
Call Jack @ MM and hell explain everything in ways I cant and get you all squared away.

I would also suggest if not done, a new set of shocks/struts and new springs. But you may have that already since you are doing a brake swap

weendoggy

Reaction score
I agree with using stock UCA's with lower Poly bushed arms. You need to control snap in the rear and having solid UCA poly joints are going to give you fits. MM even recommends this. The other way out is using UCA spherical bushings, but that's going to rattle your body and make LOT's of noise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online