Installing clutch as we speak! **FEW PICS UP**

WyoTechMSA

Reaction score
ALWAYS have the flywheel resurfaced. And make sure you use loctite and a torque wrench when reinstalling the flywheel. Remember it will only go on one way. Also make sure all 3 PP alignment dowel pins are in place before installing the PP and disk. The clutch will chatter like a bitch if you do not. My clutch chatted bad after a month of driving because the guy I bought it from lost one of the dowel pins that go in the flywheel and I had to buy a whole new flywheel bolt and pin kit.

ripper

Reaction score
If you got the money meanie put a new starter in while you got the old one out. Save you alot of headaches down the road.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
get a fiore micro click adj and quadrant. They are the best one out there and i believe they are under $100 (i think i paid 80 or something like that it was awhile back)

97blackgt

Reaction score
since my clutch isnt slipping now...and there are no problesm with it...(just wanted to replace it because i need something to do in class)..i dont see a need to resurface the flywheel...well as long as there are no hot spots and it got even wear

what do u all think?

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
if you have the tranny off, you might as well resurface it. the only reason i didn't want to do it was because i wanted to get everything back together tomorrow. but i told myself as well as you guys told me that i should do it the right way and just be patient.. so ill go get it resurfaced tomorrow. is there a fee on doing this and usually how much? how long does it normally take? and where can i do it? a tranny shop? i called autozone and they don't do it (wasn't sure if they did that sorta thing or not)

95KBGT said:
[TxCobrA98 said:
]
you didn't install what? your clutch or your adjustable cable (if you have one)?
niether our cars have an adjustable clutch on them
i know but you said you didn't install yours.. what didn't you install? i thought maybe you bought an aftermarket clutch cable/quadrant..

and thanks for the info you guys. and ill be sure to refer back to this once we start putting it all back together.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
If you have the clutch out resurface the fly wheel. The new clutch won't wear properly because it does not have a flat surface. Don't be cheap just do it. It only cost about $40.00 or you can replace another clutch prematurely.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
thanks matt, me and my dad just got the flywheel out and were leaving right now to go get it resurfaced.. i thought that it would take like a while to get it resurfaced but they said only 25 minutes soo im happy. so we should be getting it back together today! weather kinda sucks today but it isn't raining yet so, hopefully it stays this way for the remainder of the day. :dancing6: :dancing6:

oh and i thought you may get a kick outa these matt, heres our 64 stang... our garage is filled up though cause my car and all my sisters furniture so these were basically the only two i could get you, once the car is out, ill move stuff around and get the pics of the 302 thats going in it.. only 500 miles or so on the motor, looks brand new.. you'll like it. :)

P1010395.jpg

can't see much but its there somewhere lol..

P1010396.jpg

sandblasted the engine compartment..

97blackgt

Reaction score
what i dont understand is this...if the clutch isnt slipping/chattering..anything like that..it should already have a flat surface...im gonna take the wizzy wheel to it and call it good

haveing the flywheel resurfaced is more like preventitive maintience IMO...like replacing the bearings for the dif cover..

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
97blackgt said:
what i dont understand is this...if the clutch isnt slipping/chattering..anything like that..it should already have a flat surface...im gonna take the wizzy wheel to it and call it good

haveing the flywheel resurfaced is more like preventitive maintience IMO...like replacing the bearings for the dif cover..

I can garantee that your flywheel will not have a flat surface when you take it out, no matter how good you think it looks. It is just like cutting your brake rotors, it should be done. And yes you can call it preventive maintnance, you are preventing pre-mature wear of your new clutch. You can do it right or you can do it over. I have been a mechanic for over 20 years, learn from other peoples expirience.

[TxCobrA98 said:
]
thanks matt, me and my dad just got the flywheel out and were leaving right now to go get it resurfaced.. i thought that it would take like a while to get it resurfaced but they said only 25 minutes soo im happy. so we should be getting it back together today! weather kinda sucks today but it isn't raining yet so, hopefully it stays this way for the remainder of the day. :dancing6: :dancing6:

oh and i thought you may get a kick outa these matt, heres our 64 stang... our garage is filled up though cause my car and all my sisters furniture so these were basically the only two i could get you, once the car is out, ill move stuff around and get the pics of the 302 thats going in it.. only 500 miles or so on the motor, looks brand new.. you'll like it. :)

P1010395.jpg

can't see much but its there somewhere lol..

P1010396.jpg

sandblasted the engine compartment..

That car is going to be sweet when it is done. My next old stang purchase is going to be a 64.5 vert for my wife. I hope.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
Well i got bored so i drained my tranny fluid. It couldnt have been any blacker :nonono: . Put some cheap shit in hoping that it would help the problem or atleast keep it from getting worse we will see.

But i did figure out a good way to fill the tranny fluid without removing it or taking off the shifter to pour the fluid in. Get a hose (small enough to fit in the fill hole of the tranny but the bigger the easier it will be to pour), and a funnel. There are two ways i see of doing it. Using a shorter hose you can route the hose from inside the car down through the shifter hole (just remove the shifter bezel & boot). This way you will have to be careful not to spill of course because you are inside the car but it will pour a little faster i imagine. Or you can route a longer hose from the passenger side of the engine down to the hole. Then just pour the tranny fluid in the funnel, down the hose and to the fill hole. Worked pretty good but was kind of a pain because the hose i had was a little smaller diameter than i would have liked and it was short so it was kind of a pain to pour it because it was pretty low in the engine comparment but i got it done. An extra set of hands would be nice too. Some ended up on the collector of the header so now i will be smelling burnt tranny fluid for a little while but that is alright :comando:. Man the old tranny fluid had seen its better days

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online

No members online now.