Installing clutch as we speak! **FEW PICS UP**

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
sup home dizzles? hah ummm yeah so my dad ran to lowes so he can get one of those Crow's Feet thing to put on the end of a breaker bar so we can get the dang tranny off...

As the car sits right now, we HAD the tranny supporter with every bolt ready to go off except the top two, and OMG are they difficult.. it pisses me off because the bolts to disonnect the tranny and the bellhousing on INSIDE the bellhousing.. so we have to take the whole unit off as one... so yesterday we spent about 6 hours in the garage doing everything.

list of stuff already done:
hpipe is out
drive shaft is out
starter is out
cross member was out but is back on so it could sit over night.
and 4 bolts are holding the tranny on, top two and then two others for safety.

soo today, we are going to knock those two bolts on top of the tranny, take the clutch assembly out, then probably go get my flywheel resurfaced, then tomorrow finish the job. (spring break for me this week)...

you guys should see how little room there is to get those two top bolts off... we are going to use a breaker bar, a 13mm crows feet attachment and go from top inside the engine bay... i think it will work. wish us luck!!

oh and 10 or so pics from yesterday will be up tonight most likely.. i stopped taking pictures because my allergies are acting up and im sick right now with some vertigo.... and i was just laying under the car helpin my dad for the last 2 hours or so.. ill post the pics i have later tonight.

haha one more thing, once we get everything bolted back on, we are going to start the car without my hpipe on.. ill get a vid clip of it haha.. is this safe or possible to do? just wondering cause the o2's and stuff wont be hooked up.. i guess thats right lol.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Re: Installing clutch as we speak!

yo cracker, you cant get any work done if your on here :hammer: :hammer: get back on the cobra and that new clutch. Hope this fixes your problems you have been having with it.

SvtBlack95

Reaction score

sweet what clutxh did you get Trey?

Foster98GT

Reaction score

The only thing yer getting done here is, Getting yer keyboard gunked up. ;D Go get under the belly of that snake and get r done....Dont forget the pics ASAP!

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score

i think get got a ram. Id go look for the thread about it but im too lazy right now

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score

More Cobra Clutch Hell. At least you were able to get your H-Pipe out. I had to work around mine, or break the manifold flange bolts. Nothing better than installing a fly wheel and clutch in a gap about 6-8 inches wide.

I took the top 2 bolts out with a 6 point 13mm socket attached to a universal with about 3 feet of extension to make it to the back of the trans. I used a long handle ratchet to break them lose.

Once you have all the bolts out you will need to get the trans free of the dowel pins, that could be a bitch. Work it gently so you don't crack anything.

When you put the trans back in, make sure you never seize everything, especially the guide dolls. You may need to pull the trans in with bolts to get it over the guide dolls. Do this very carefully, don't tighten the bolts more than a 1/2 turn at a time alternating back and forth between the two of them. You have an aluminum block, don't get carried away while tightening the bolts while you pull in the trans. You don't want to rip the threads out of the block or break the aluminum bell housing.

My clutch had been done once before and one of the bell housing bolts was crossthreaded when it was installed. So now I am minus one bell housing bolt.

DO NOT never seize the drive shaft flange bolts. They are a patch lock bolt and I suggest replacing them. If you do not want to replace them use blue loc-tite on them.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score

MeanGrn Gt said:
i think get got a ram. Id go look for the thread about it but im too lazy right now

you lazy bum :hammer: :hammer:

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score

MeanGrn Gt said:

nah i got the <a href=http://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=269682>McLeod Twin Clutch</a>.. its ok i guess..

haha no i got Ram's King Cobra clutch brian.. and my dad is out getting that tool we need.. so we are at a stand still and i didn't feel like going cause im sore lol. the only thing i can get around those two dang bolts on top is a regular 13mm wrench and theres just not enough room/leverage to break it.. soo we are going to use a breaker bar and get that crows feet thing because thats all that will really fit in there. hope it works.. :)

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score

thanks for the info matt, ill be sure to show my dad your post.

and i just snapped some pics.. some random ones so im uploading those now.

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score

hey thanks man!

CobraGarage.jpg

P1010394.jpg

P1010398.jpg

P1010406.jpg

DIRTY I KNOW!

P1010407.jpg

P1010418.jpg

Sexy sticker

P1010419.jpg

P1010411.jpg

P1010412.jpg

P1010413.jpg

P1010408.jpg

And heres how much room we have to work with... my dad can't find that tool though so we are going to probably do the extension idea..

P1010400.jpg

P1010401.jpg

P1010404.jpg

theres the stupid bolt...

P1010405.jpg

and theres how far i have to reach to touch the bolt...

enjoy! lol

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score

P1010406.jpg

DIRTY I KNOW!

dont you know your suppose to wash your car before you put it in for work :hammer:

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
i still cant believe some jackass put the tranny mounting bolts on the inside of the bellhousing wtf

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
95KBGT said:
i still cant believe some jackass put the tranny mounting bolts on the inside of the bellhousing wtf

quality is job......what?? :hammer: :hammer:

OP
OP
T

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
95KBGT said:

thats the way the t45 was made man.. worst design ever... and thanks for your help the other day..

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
np, if i was you tho, i would try to see if you can turn the bolts around...

WyoTechMSA

Reaction score
Yea the extension thing isnt an idea...its the only way you can do it. I wonder if there is a way to turn the bolts around so you can take the casing off of the bellhousing while it is installed.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
95KBGT said:
np, if i was you tho, i would try to see if you can turn the bolts around...

You can't turn the bolts around. They go through the inside of the bell housing into the trans body. It is a one piece trans bell housing design. It adds structural integrity to the trans. You may think it is not a good design, but it is much stronger.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
You need to get the car as high off the floor as you possably can. You need the room to move things around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.